Putting my beloved van to bed over the winter warm.

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Big Vern
80-90 Mem No: 5999

Putting my beloved van to bed over the winter warm.

Post by Big Vern »

Hi,

i have recently become the owner of a 1990 VW transporter hi top leisuredrive campervan which i have become very attached to in a short period of ownership. :D

I have no choice but to store it outside during the winter :?:

i am also a new member fo this club and i think it is really cool loads of info.

does anyone have any tips on keeping the inside dry during winter?

i would appreciate any help.

many thanks

Big Vern.

gdr77
80-90 Mem No: 6409

Post by gdr77 »

hi there iam in the same boat i have just got a cover for a caravan and put it over and disconnected the battery
[IMG:640:480]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20 ... CF0161.jpg[/img]

Billiemaye
80-90 Mem No: 495

Post by Billiemaye »

Hi welcome to the club Big Vern,your best bet is to use it every now and again,whether for camping or just give it a run now and again,.

They dont like standing around ,we hook our camper up to the garage and have a fan heater on inside ,just to keep it dry.

Its great as somtimes if i come in late of a night out ,i nip in the van and kip ,rather than wake up the mrs and kids. :lol:
2oo8 Cromer Sand Castle Champion junior section.

Andy 495.
Strongbow tis thee future ill tell thee.

SplendiferousII
80-90 Mem No: 2893

Post by SplendiferousII »

I intend to use mine all winter as my daily hack. yet I have been spraying her underneath and especialy around the arches with duck oil. Also the seems, door runners, the flat bit behind the front bumper, well all over really. will be vasalining the seems later today.

jaylo264
80-90 Mem No: 4769

Putting my beloved van to bed over the winter warm

Post by jaylo264 »

covers may not be the best thing apparently ( gdr77 , see my posting on highlanddubbers ?)
I would defo put one end up on ramps , at least , and let air flow as much as poss.
jaylo

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

covers may not be the best thing apparently ( gdr77 , see my posting on highlanddubbers ?)
I would defo put one end up on ramps , at least , and let air flow as much as poss.
jaylo

Often heard - probably true - covering up is a double edged sword, condensation that never dries out fully on a warm day.

If you prop it one end, make sure water doesn't drip into the rear louvre vents.. Dripping air-vent syndrome

Open the rear tailgate right up after heavy rainy periods to see if water drips out of the drains at the bottom... if so repeat every time it rains :)

If possible park it where the sun shines for some of the day, but block the windows from direct sunlight light somehow if stored for long periods in summer. Leave the handbrake off and chock it.

If you do get an unseasonably warm dry day and can't take it for a drive, then open the tailgate and slider for an hour or two at midday, shutting it up well before the dew comes down.

But best of all, just make a point of going touring in it every so often to get the engine fully warmed up and the interior well dried out, so choose a nice weekend every once in a while. Don't just take it around the block - very bad!!!

Make sure the coolant system has had it's 3 yearly coolant change and the anti-freeze is up to full strength (50/50) to prevent cooling system corrosion, which will get it if this has been neglected...

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... ded_brands

Thanks for this question, now a topic in the Wikipedia... http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... _-_Storage
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Big Vern
80-90 Mem No: 5999

Thankyou all

Post by Big Vern »

Many thanks to all who replied, i really appreciate your advice.

Big Vern.

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9456

Thinking of getting a couple of these bad boys to help out over the winter for the interior.

As for the exterior I got a double wax layer on before the weather closed in and, like has already been said, try and do a good run up to temp whenever I can.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

[img:268:170]http://www.frost.co.uk/images/product_i ... e/9456.jpg[/img]

I would think these de-humidifiers are on the a hiding in a draughty old van.

unless you can make a fairly tight seal to the outside world
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

I like the fan heater idea from Billiemaye. What sort of power heater are you using? Do you leave it on all the time?

We have a small one (max 1200 watts I think from memory but it's too cold to go out and check) that we took to Europe last winter and thinking of putting it in the van, keeping it hooked up and just switching on the hook up connection for an hour or so daily and so warming the van with the heater.

Any advice as to whether doing this would cause any problems with the battery charging? (Obviously the charger would come on with the power so would that be bad for the battery being on and off daily for short times ?)

Or should I just keep hook up plugged in all the time so the charger runs in maintenance mode and physically switch the heater on in the van every so often?

Hope that makes sense to someone :)

Cheers for any help, not used to UK winters!!!

Andi

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i have never been one for letting these vans stand, it does more harm than using them..... however, if you must, i recon there is no way you are going to be able to seal them from the damp outside completely, so dont even think about a electric de-humidifyer, you'll never dry the whole world out!!

those crystal ones work really well, but are messy if forgotten....

the fan heater thing is fine but its going to be expensive! If i was going to have the fan heater it would be a glass house type, with a frost setting that would only switch on if the temp dropped below say +3 deg and yu really need to aloow air to flow through, so keeping the vent open in the dash and doors.

i also think a bag of cement is a better moisture trap than many, a plastic biscuit tin with holes drilled in the top , half filled with cement powder will keep things dyer than almost anything ..........
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Cheers for the wisdom Mocki
Our van is my daily driver but just a bit paranoid about cold UK evenings!!
I drive it every day but only about 10 miles round trip so just wondering about keeping it as dry as possible. Like I said, probably just being paranoid, we lived in it last winter in Spain so now, here at home does seem very cold an I'm just trying to make sure I do everything right
Cheers
Andi

Tells1983
80-90 Mem No: 6779

Post by Tells1983 »

Little bowls of SALT! Everywhere! Presses n all, Very cheap :lol:
1983 Hi top leisuredrive 1.9 Sdi

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night,
and in between he does what he wants to do"

Martin
80-90 Mem No: 743

Post by Martin »

use rice instaed of salt
martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

campervankatie
80-90 Mem No: 3109

SplendiferousII's duck oil and vaseline

Post by campervankatie »

SplendiferousII can you please give me some more info on spraying duck oil and using vaseline. Our van is used all year round but it does carry a bit of rust which is starting to be mot worry. I'd love to know more about your techniques as i have been told to spray used oil underneath the van to keep the rust off.
thanks katie
:D