Found wires cut behind dash clock

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JesusJason
80-90 Mem No: 13070

Found wires cut behind dash clock

Post by JesusJason »

Hello all,

Since I re-aquired (long story) my Aircooled T25 it hasn't got working back lighting on the dashboard. I've removed the dashpod to give it a thorough clean and to replace the bulbs with LED's and I've found the blue and brown wires coming from the back of the clock (with fuel gauge) have been cut...the other warning LED's seem to work and the clock/speedo/fuel gauge are working. Does anyone know if this could be causing my issue with the back lighting not working?

Many Thanks

Jason

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Found wires cut behind dash clock

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Can you explain a bit more exactly what you mean?
Are you saying that the blue and brown wires from the long white connector on the back of the dash have been cut or do you have some sort of 'fix' where you have wires going directly to the fuel gauge/back lighting?
The plastic PCB thingy should handle all of the 'wiring' from the connector to the various bits on the dash.
As always pictures would be really useful??
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

JesusJason

Post by JesusJason »

Good point :lol:

Dash.jpg
Dash.jpg (76.69 KiB) Viewed 2076 times

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

********** read the very last paragraph first ...... just in case ***********

Yep - those two wires shouldn't be there at all.
Looks like they were added by someone at some point to do something?!?

Take a look at the pic in the Wiki here;
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... tor_pinout
It should show you the pin out of the long white connector and show which wires you need to check to get the lighting bulbs working - it looks like bulb positive is on a grey/blue wire and ground on a brown wire on that connector.

Also note that if you have changed out those bulbs for LEDs then the LEDs will only work one way around - so you might try spinning them to see if that fixes it - otherwise check that you have a good ground on the brown wire(s) on the long connector and a variable voltage on the grey/blue wire (it varies as you twiddle the little dial under the headlight switch)!

Ah!!!! Which actually reminds me - have you checked that the dial under the headlight switch is twiddled to full brightness??? That has caught someone else out on this forum before!!
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

JesusJason

Post by JesusJason »

Brilliant, many thanks for your help I'll remove them completely and check the rest. :)

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

The blue wire is a bypass of the ribbon for a constant live to make the clock work, which leaves me wondering how the clock works when this has been snipped, maybe the wire for the lights has been joined to the clock wire the other side of the connector :?:

Just added, or perhaps someone has needed a constant live for anouther reason and took it from there :oops:
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG