Removing overspay from newish paint

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Removing overspay from newish paint

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi all,

Our recently restored TinTop has had a few "issues" relating to the poor "organisation skills" of the bodyshop that did it. Missing parts, incorrect dash wiring etc etc etc. I am working through them but have come across an "issue" I need advice on.

When I went to look at the van 10 days before I actually picked it up, it looked superb, very glossy / shiny and windscreen as clear as could be.

On collecting it and getting it home, it obvious that on the nearside it had got "over-sprayed" as, if you run your fingers down parts of the new paint, you can feel a slight "dust like" texture instead of the highly polished feel other parts of the van has. Also, much of the screen had what appeared to be over-spray on it (now cleaned off with white spirit, nylon pan scourer and then proper glass cleaner, looks fine now).

Question = What should I use to get this over-spray off the new(ish) paint ?

I wondered about more white spirit, but held off as I don't know if it might have a bad effect on the new paint. I then considered a soft & fine "clay bar", then I wondered whether to pay someone to use a pro style "buffer" (then polish with decent wax). Any thoughts folks ?

p.s. = No I won't even consider taking it back to the body shop, he is not having my van in his place again EVER ("no worries, it will be 2 days" = he will still have not completed it 3 months later :evil: )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Removing overspay from newish paint

Post by Titus A Duxass »

You need some cutting compound like -http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/p-2880-3m-per ... 3godMG4AWA

But go gentle with it as it fair takes paint off.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Umm, not sure I trust myself with that stuff. Had no experience (and have no tools) re this type of thing. Don't want fcuk it up :twisted:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

eiret25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by eiret25 »

T Cut also works of the same principle. Can you get hold of an angle grinder? You can get mops to fit. A buffer is the only realistic way you can do it yourself in my opinion. Just take your time with it. Dont put pressure on the buffer as this can cause a build up of heat and burn the paint. Also ensure the the mop has a decent amount of cutting agent on it as this helps against heat build up. Pictures of before and after would be nice. Best of luck with the job
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Ummm, got no power tools of that type (for "mops") and no experience in this subject, as said, don't want to fcuk my new paint up :?

Might let local club member "Jimpainter" have a look, I trust him :)

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

I'm no expert, but I'd advise steering clear of cutting compound.
Had loads on mine after a small repair. Was advised on the detailers forum(yes I know!!)
To use a clay bar. Got a meguiers ?? Kit from halfords.
It's shifted the lot and left me with an amazing finish. Amazing stuff.
Look it up. :ok

Tufty_B
80-90 Mem No: 13025

Post by Tufty_B »

If anybody else is considering using a standard single speed angle grinder with a mop head, then I'd suggest they think again. They spin too fast and you are very likely to damage the paint unless you are experienced, in which case you are likely to have the right kit anyway.
Mike

The robots are coming.

(1990 Westy Syncro 2.1 DJ - Converted from a Caravelle)

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

southernsparky wrote: Was advised on the detailers forum(yes I know!!) to use a clay bar. Got a meguiers ?? Kit from halfords. It's shifted the lot and left me with an amazing finish. Amazing stuff.
Look it up. :ok

ghost123uk wrote: I then considered a soft & fine "clay bar",

:ok = Yep Ben (aka "Quagmire" on here = local and a friend of ours) recommended this, and in fact demo'd it's use. Might well give that a go first as it seems less likely to fcuk anything up, being "hand held" ;) I was just seeing if anyone had any other ideas for sorting it.

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

Sorry didn't see the reference to clay bars in your post!
:D

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

not used clay bar so cant comment on them. t cut has ammonia in so does some fracela so I wouldn't use them on fresh 2k paint. Id use 3ms as said, pretty sure youd be ok doing it by hand.
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

eiret25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by eiret25 »

Tufty_B wrote:If anybody else is considering using a standard single speed angle grinder with a mop head, then I'd suggest they think again. They spin too fast and you are very likely to damage the paint unless you are experienced, in which case you are likely to have the right kit anyway.

Sorry should have said variable speed :oops:
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi