cutting the front bumper section away...??

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: cutting the front bumper section away...??

Post by BOXY »

Stupid is better than dead, isn't it?
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Its been done before by others i have seen it before so its not stupid to ask if it can be done

Perhaps that syncro has been reinforced I dont know because i'm not a vehicle engineer and neither is the op

if people can't ask questions without being bullied its a sad day for 8090 in my opinion
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

988mick wrote:i have to agree with itchy,
the lad was asking a question and instead of an answer he was made feel stupid.

He was given the answer several times but said that as his parents owned an insurance company it didn't matter about modifications - by inference also his possible unsafe one! Suppose he hit your van with his modified one - do you think that his parent's insurance company won't pay out because of these structural modifications. I know what I would bet on and I am not a betting man. I also bet he would want an insurance pay out if he lost his legs in a front end accident - they sure as heck will not pay out if he has destroyed the structural integrity of the front.
Just because others have done it, rightly or wrongly, doesn't make it safe.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

Its been done before by others i have seen it before so its not stupid to ask if it can be done

No, not stupid to ask the question. Maybe not so wise to put your front bumper up for sale over a month before asking the question though?

Post-by lee001t25 » Today, 4 Jan 2014 20:53:03 GMT

hi all front bumper in good condition plus corners..£30 pounds collection only.. :D gu30 7nz post code..
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

well the link to the one done shows nothing of whats behind it,so will leave that aspect, as to whether it looks good, thats a matter of opinion, but they should have styled the bottom of the step into the front with a bit more imagination still...................

if the op would care to come back and post a picky of his van and the rear mod , and secondly clarify the statement ref folk and insurance then i will likewise take you a little more seriously and maybe show you how it can be done safely and correctly
mm

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

metalmick8y wrote:maybe show you how it can be done safely and correctly
mm

There are some people who won' t want to hear that because their minds made up it cant be done.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Nah I think what "those" folk where getting at was that whilst chopping bodies about for "customising" purposes is one thing ,and it takes great skill do carry it out so it don't look home made, whreas mods that considerable alter the structural/safety aspects requires more knowledge and e experience plus the ability to fabricate to a very competantt standard ,
mm

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

the way you put is sounds so much more constructive and friendly than "those" folk :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Nuance can be difficult in print

chapperss
80-90 Mem No: 1343

Post by chapperss »

I did this on my old bus. just so I could lower the front bumper a bit, to make it look lower.
I cut the bumper section behind the bumper away ,then fitted it back inside the channel that is left on the front of the bus,but further in. I could then mount the front bumper a couple of inches lower and further back. I have to say I was in my early twenties at the time and never gave the safety aspect a second thought. It was only recently I was driving my old slammed split bus about and the bumper on that would have gone under most other cars around,so I only had a bit of 20 gauge sheet metal and a couple of inches of air between my legs and the outside world! as I get older I do start to worry about these things!!
but in answer to your question yes it is possible. would I do it now? NO. but thats really up to you and nobody else.
1990 twin slider transporter. Subaru 5 speed trans. 3.3 svx subaru motor(it scares me!)

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

lee001t25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by lee001t25 »

opened a hole can of worms asking if it can be done pmsl.....paul if i see it as a class of bulling you know how ill deal with something like that lol....to the responce on selling my old bumper was gunna get new one but i done a fellow favour to someone on here and gave it to them for nothing... :idea

JamesKT25
80-90 Mem No: 12638

Post by JamesKT25 »

In my eyes its your van, do what you want pal, at least consider the consequences of removing the only REAL safety aspect on the front end. Im a big believer in people doing what they want to their car, especially if its is different. No one on here an tell you to not do something, they an just offer advice. Some of it bluntly... This place does hold a wealth of knowledge and experience. To answer your questions simply, It is possible, but not advised unless other structural strength is added and then some.
Drives a 1986 T25 1.9 W/C petrol/LPG Panelvan

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Blimey folks, some heated responses there.

I have never been a fan of debumpered look. used to drive mini's and never liked that look. I think it makes things look odd, kinda goofy!?
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

Dave307
80-90 Mem No: 10742

Post by Dave307 »

Hehe. Some people are so stroppy. I think the van in the link looks quite cool. Would I do it. No. Can it be done safely. If mm says yes then it can.....creep.
As someone said it's the OPs van and he should do what he wants. Just make sure is safe for the passengers you and others around.
Dave.

1986 watercooled 1.9DG