Big problems

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tattoojohnny
80-90 Mem No: 9120

Re: Big problems

Post by tattoojohnny »

Thanks ghost for the reply. The fuse to the heater only blows when its on speed three. It runs all day on 1 and 2 no problems so am thinking its more likely an electrical fault rather than seized, does that sound about right? I've got all the wipers indicators etc working its now. A split positive clamp on the batter seems to have been the problem. Just the dim lights now and the fact they "flicker" with the indicators. I've ordered some night breakers and am gonna do a direct feed from the battery and see if that helps. Not sure what relays or thickness/gauge of cable I need tho. Thanks for all your help :)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Glad you are getting there :ok

But...

tattoojohnny wrote:Just the dim lights now and the fact they "flicker" with the indicators. I've ordered some night breakers and am gonna do a direct feed from the battery and see if that helps.

I am afraid this is the very wrong way to sort this. You will be simply masking the problem, not fixing it. With relays, if you do not fix it properly, there is a danger that you will be trucking along on a country lane in the dark and rain when the supply to the relay (that is currently feeding the lights and is iffy) fails and all your headlights go out :shock: Seriously !

You really need to find the bad connection (likely an earth). Try wiggling wires at there connecting points whilst an assistant watches the brightness of the lights.

tattoojohnny wrote:Thanks for all your help :)

Your welcome :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

tattoojohnny
80-90 Mem No: 9120

Post by tattoojohnny »

Don't worry, I am intended to fix the problem at the same time. The direct feed and relays to the lights is just an upgrade to the setup. I'm probably gonna end up rewiring the whole front end while I'm on that way I know its gonna last :)

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

Re the heater blower

Mine used to do exactly that, when you put it to no. 3, its drawing full current, if it's starting to seize up or just full of dust and crap, it puts more strain on the motor, so it draws even more current, and blows the fuse.

To get to the blower motor you need to remove the complete dash board (sounds harder than it actually is), take out the heater box and look in the intake on the front and you will see the impellors, try turning them by hand and they will probably feel stiff, then put some oil/WD40 etc onto the shafts and let it work in, this should free it up and stop blowing fuses. If not, I think new motors are available from Brickwerks, and not that expensive

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

DavidPallister wrote:Re the heater blower

Mine used to do exactly that, when you put it to no. 3, its drawing full current, if it's starting to seize up or just full of dust and crap, it puts more strain on the motor, so it draws even more current, and blows the fuse.

To get to the blower motor you need to remove the complete dash board (sounds harder than it actually is), take out the heater box and look in the intake on the front and you will see the impellors, try turning them by hand and they will probably feel stiff, then put some oil/WD40 etc onto the shafts and let it work in, this should free it up and stop blowing fuses. If not, I think new motors are available from Brickwerks, and not that expensive

All good info there, but trust me, after you have gone to that much trouble to get to that ~30 year old blower motor, you are better off replacing it. About £35 from Brickwerks. I have just (well 2 months ago) replaced one on one of our (2) vans.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here