Wiring on 1983 profi

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Profi Graham
80-90 Mem No: 7794

Wiring on 1983 profi

Post by Profi Graham »

Hi. On the dashboard of my 1983 Dehler Profi are two identical switches, side by side. One controls the internal electrics, water pump, interior lights, etc. The other switches the fridge on and off. They've both stopped working so I've had a look behind. Both switches have a yellow wire with a spade connecter going to the top terminal of each switch. The bottom terminal on each switch has a blob of solder, suggesting that the wire that was attached has come away.

There is a huge red wire, about 5mm in diameter, which, when I touch it to the bottom terminal, completes the circuit and the switch operates. I believe this is the live feed for both switches. Can I attach it to both switches? If so, how do I do it? I could perhaps split the thick wire into two thinner ones and attach a spade connecter to each. Or I could try and somehow run two wires from the thick one. Any suggestions? Please!

I have photographed the wiring but don't know how to upload a picture

Graham

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Wiring on 1983 profi

Post by R0B »

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Mi ... g_pictures

I have photographed the wiring but don't know how to upload a picture
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Profi Graham

Post by Profi Graham »

That site is closing down and won't accept new members. Can anyone answer the question without the pics? I just need to know if I can use one wire to feed two switches. Cheers

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

just looked at mine. Yes,behind the dash is a red 5mm cable which is the feed from the battery. This has a connector on it with 2 smaller wires going to the 2 switches.
Try flickr for hosting photos, works quite well.
Also don't think it's a good idea connecting wires together to see what happens
not a good idea in my game, although does create work for us!!

Profi Graham

Post by Profi Graham »

Thanks but I've done it now. I connected the thick wire to two thinner 8A wires with terminals on the end. Surely there can't be too much power surging through them?