Leaking brake fluid..... err..... I think.....

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Evil Elvis
80-90 Mem No: 9556

Leaking brake fluid..... err..... I think.....

Post by Evil Elvis »

Hi there,
Got a niggly little drip of something collecting on the floor below my steering column. I'm guessing that it might be brake fluid but I'm not sure as it doesn't smell like it, also, I can't seem to find the point that it's weeping from... Don't want to drive it if it has a braking issue that needs resolving but there appears to be no fall in the fluid level and it presents with no loss in braking power. I would have expected some of both by now...
Anybody had the same issue and solved it...??? Any help would be most gratefully received... :ok
Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts...

Henry Rollins.

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Re: Leaking brake fluid..... err..... I think.....

Post by tandemsandy »

Oh good, glad we're not the only one having that wee conundrum!
Can go months with no drip s at all, then one morning there'll be a damp patch on the mat. Ditto no apparent loss of fluid from the reservoir. It must be the brake or clutch master cylinder, but can't ever find evidence of which one.

Rob
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Evil Elvis wrote:Hi there,
Got a niggly little drip of something collecting on the floor below my steering column. I'm guessing that it might be brake fluid but I'm not sure as it doesn't smell like it, also,

Probably the clutch master cylinder. Don't drive it far before you fit a new one. http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... gory_id=48 :ok

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

failure is not an option... :shock:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Double check/inspect the fluid more closely, it might just be water leaking through the window seal. Check above the fuse box for any wetness too.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

monekynuts
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by monekynuts »

If it was brake/cluch fluid it would stink and obviously be oilly. If you remove clocks which takes 10 mins you can inspect master cylider and reservoid seals for leaks. It's possible that the winscreen surround has rotted slightly under the seal and this causes a tiny hole just above pedals this runs down inside onto/under mats.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Unless it's an automatic the most likely source is the clutch master cylinder ... this needs checking as a safety matter. Check the back of the upper part of the pedal for the fluid running down it.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

If it is a leaking clutch master cyl and not just the supply pipe from res to cyl,( which is only a push on fit and may be the leak,) eventually the clutch will tend to back off even tho the pedal is down! (i know this from experience!) the van will want to creep forward, and dangerously, you cant get it out of gear as its loaded up, and have to hope it will stall with the brakes. a bit scary to say the least.
the cyl was around 35 quid and wasn't that difficult to fit, you have to feel what you're doing a bit as it's tricky to see up into the narrow area where it is located, plug the supply pipe with a bolt quickly as you pull it clear! and put a few rags down as its a bit of a messy job.:-)

tandemsandy

Post by tandemsandy »

Replaced my master cylinder at the weekend.
Pretty straightforward, once I'd got the pipe union to loosen off. A normal spanner wasn't shifting it but luckily I'd got a small stilson pipe wrench that'd just fit in and got enough leverage to crack it undone. But messy, very messy!

Rob

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

But messy, very messy!

drain the clutch fluid first from the clucth slave cylinder end

you could carry out your complete 2 yearly brake fluid change at the same time as its probably been overlooked by a year or two!

tandemsandy

Post by tandemsandy »

Think it was extra messy cause when I pulled the flexi pipe off, the plastic barbed connector broke off in it! So my prepared plug wouldn't fit in the end of the hose. Cue much cursing, dribbling, and trying to find something else within reach to plug the hose!

You're almost right about the fluid not being changed. I did it in July when I fitted 2 new calipers and bled the whole system. Didn't like the colour of the fluid that came out, that'd definitely been in there for more than 2 years!!

Rob