Big favour please - wiring diagram :)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bert1985
80-90 Mem No: 9948

Big favour please - wiring diagram :)

Post by Bert1985 »

Hi woud anyone please be able to send us a copy of a wiring diagram for our 1985 watercooled? We are still stumped on why our hazards work and indicators don't!!! We've checked, relay, fuses and switch. We have loose wires hanging out from everywhere and need to try and make sense of it all..... :?:
Laura & Martin - "Bert" 1985 1.9 Watercooled work in progress!!!!

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Re: Big favour please - wiring diagram :)

Post by ermie571 »

Make new earths....

check that you have 12v at hazards when they are supposed to be on? If so, give the indicator a new earth...see if that cures it! :D I do have a wiring diagram photocopied from Haynes....its a mare to understand.....but I can bring it in and scan it tomorrow if needed?

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Post by Grun »

OK, got the Haynes on my lap. Bear in mind that the diagram is not specific to any year and fuse type changed around '86 was it?
1. On my diagram the indicator circuit is supplied through fuse S19 (10amp) and only with ignition ON.
2. The supply then goes from the fuse to pin 15 on the HAZARD switch and through internal contacts to pin 49 on the hazard switch and from there to the flasher unit /relay thingy, (pin 1/49 it says here!)
3. So if there is battery voltage on pin 15 and no battery voltage on pin 49 of the hazard switch with ignition ON, and the hazard switch in the OFF position, fault is in the hazard switch internal contact.

Please don't ask how to physically do the checks, I am just reading the wiring diagram!

The hazards (all four bulbs) are fed from a different fuse, S4 (15amp) to pin 30 of the hazard switch and through internal contacts to pin 49 and on to the flasher unit/relay thingy. This circuit is live with ignition on or off.

Hope this helps.
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

I've highlighted the only wire that isn't common to the indicator and hazard cicuit in green. If you haven't got 12vDC on this wire the indicator won't work, but the hazards will, unless I'm reading the diagram wrong?
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Bert1985
80-90 Mem No: 9948

Post by Bert1985 »

Many thanks to you - it is now sorted - not too sure how but a friend of a friend came and sorted it :wink:

We really appreciate it all of your advice, we are ok on mechanical and bodywork but when it comes to mass of wires we are useless!!!!

:ok
Laura & Martin - "Bert" 1985 1.9 Watercooled work in progress!!!!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

For reference (and may help many others), the Haynes one isn't easy to follow so I use the Type2 one as everything is more or less the same (even colours) and its way, way easier to follow. 1970ish. I think I simply married both parts of the diagram, printed it and laminated it. Saves SO much hassle..... :D

I think even the mid-70 bug diagrams (when the alternator was introduced) are close enough

Certainly the indicator layout and colours are identical. :wink:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.