white smoke :(

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kingkhung
80-90 Mem No: 9307

white smoke :(

Post by kingkhung »

Hello again t25 lovers,
Just looking for a bit of advice really, i've been having trouble with my coolant in that when it expands into the filler tank it didnt seem to be cooling and refilling into the expansion tank again. This led to engine getting hotter than i would have liked but i never let it get to a dangerous point (i thought). It happened the other day and on the way home i stopped and bought a new expansion tank cap and this seemed to do the job. Then i was at a set of traffic lights and as i was pulling off and with no noise or difference in drive a load of white smoke (maybe steam) came out of my exhaust. I pulled over and left the van there as i was only a 1/4 mile from home and thought i'd let it cool. Since then I drove it back home and parked it outside my house and there was still white smoke but very little.
I'm assuming this is most likely coolant in the oil system thats burning up and creating steam but why has it suddenly happened like this?
From what ive read its most likely a head gasket or the oil cooler so am looking for anyone whos got some experience with something similar. Ive had a few problems with oil leaks with this engine but apart from that its been a fantastic little runner, its actually a JP code 1.6 diesel engine.
Has anybody had anythings similar happen to them? Do you just think the new expansion cap and this happening 20 mins later was a coincidence or linked?
Any advice or experience would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Leo :ok
Last edited by kingkhung on 18 Jul 2011, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

kingkhung

Re: white smoke :(

Post by kingkhung »

Any advice would be much appreciated, to be honest i'm planning an aaz or 1y conversion but need the van until i get round to getting a suitable engine so any help on keeping it going for a while would be brilliant. I'm going to start striping the engine apart today weather permitting, any likely candidates to look out for from anyones experience?
Cheers

croc
80-90 Mem No: 9222

Post by croc »

Does the white smoke smell strongly of diesel?? Its quite a pungent smell.
If 'Yes' then its unburnt fuel and could be a problem with injector(s), injector pump or water in fuel.
Else its most likely what you suggest and a head gasket problem and probably the cheapest solution.
Good luck
1.9 DG WBX, 5 speed gearbox, standard steel wheels

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

Thats for the reply croc, no strong smell of diesel in the exhaust just your normal exhaust odor. Been having a look at it and everything seems normal apart from the white smoke. The coolant in the expansion tank is a little murky but no visible oil or brown floaters on the surface, and there is no sign of coolant when i drained a bit of oil from the sump. None of the other sign that go with head gasket failure are there. I guess this is a good sign but leaves me a little stumped. I guess the best thing to do is to just replace head gasket and hope it sorts it out before it gets worse and warps anything.

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

If you are replacing the engine eventually try K seal it might work it has a good reputation.
1y Tin top rust collector.

meridian911
80-90 Mem No: 7372

Post by meridian911 »

dont suppose it could be as simple as your overflow tank being full and coolant coming out through the top air vent holes onto the exhaust could it ? this has happenend to me before i fixed the cooling system (fingers crossed on that one tho).

Jas

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

Unfortunately not Jas, the coolant system seems to be working okay now and the smoke/steam is definitely coming directly out of the exhaust. Worth a try though I would have been a happy bunny if that was the cause. Might have to think about kits K seal idea has anybody got any experience with it or anything similar? Ive just been reading about something called steel seal that sounds tempting

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

id change the fuel filter 1st, when did it last have a timing belt, could be a broken tip on one of the injectors

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

Agreed fuel filter first.

There was a thread on K seal on here.
1y Tin top rust collector.

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

I had a new belt and fuel filter about 6 months ago, might chuck in a new filter anyway there only cheap. Might take it for a very small spin around the block today see how the smoking is and see if i get any signs to indicate anything else

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

Partial success with the fuel filter. Chucked a new one in and managed to spill diesel all down myself in the process, got to learn not to balance things on the back of a sloping van :lol: Have reduced the smokeyness a noticeable amount but its definitely still got something going on. Didnt think my fuel filter would be that dirty after about 2k miles, though I did run pretty low on fuel once that probably didnt help. Think i'm going to give STEEL SEAL a go if it persists, it doesnt seem as harsh as a lot of the others out there anyone got any experience with it?. Or of course i could always do it properly and change head gasket. On the up side ive got my hands on a 1y engine not too far away from me all i need to do now is get it to my workshop give it a bit of a once over and slip it in where my current engine is :rofl if only it was that easy. Thanks for the help
Last edited by kingkhung on 20 Jul 2011, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

croc
80-90 Mem No: 9222

Post by croc »

Just a suggestion, before you use steel seal, as your partial success when changing fuel filter made a difference its possible that you have water in the fuel tank.
My take would be to use some 'diesel fuel conditioner' that can deal with small amounts of water in the fuel. Its a quick and easy test with no long term bad effects and much less trouble than head off!! If it doesn't work you're only a couple of quid down and a day later with no unnecessary work.
T25's do have a habit of getting water into the tank, as its the same as petrol model tank. Might be worth a try. Good luck. :?:
1.9 DG WBX, 5 speed gearbox, standard steel wheels

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

I am in brighton - let me know how you get on... happy to pop round/meet nextweek to see if I can offer help / 2nd opinion

Regards

Matt - brighton

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

Cheers matt i might have to take you up on that if all else fails. Celebrating the fuel filter was a little premature after a spin around the block it seems to be back to how it was before. Will give the diesel conditioner a go though i think, nothing to lose. The main reason i think its going to be the head gasket or oil cooler is the way it started smoking, everything was fine then suddenly a cloud of smoke like a seal had gone as i pulled off. I'm relatively new to T25s but learning quick (quicker than i would have liked sometimes) but from what i understand the coolers can deteriorate quite quickly but I really think its the head gasket.
Matt can you recommend any mechanics in brighton to fit my 1Y? Cant decide whether to get it done professionally but thought i might find out a rough price.
Cheers

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

Have not yet needed to take mine to a garage _ but I understand Barry at New Malvern Garage - Hove Lagoon Basin is good - he is happy to chat and Im sure he could do the job or recommend someone locally

Also aware of a vw garage operating out of Argylle Road but dont know any more than that.

VW Heritage are just up the road from us in Burgess Hill and maybe give them a call to ask if they would recommend anyone too

Pl let me know how you get on

Regards

Matt