Light balast resistors

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Light balast resistors

Post by axeman »

I have done the head light upgrade about 18 months ago with 4 relays, one thing that ihave not got my head around are the tree balast reistor things that are located behind the front grill that next to the light units. What do they do in the circuit and are they needed?

Thanks neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Re: Light balast resistors

Post by ..lee.. »

if i`m on about the same thing as you neil there for a dim dip system. dip only comes on with ign key on unless you have these resistors connected then dip will come on with out the key in but not at full power. think its a pointless addition really may be law in europe??????????
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Going back into the mists of time and I've been to bed since then lol, I seem to remember legislation regarding lighting that was very short lived (around for 1-2 years max) that required the use of these resistors. Vehicles that just happen to have been manufactured in this time frame have them but others before and after do not.
As you say, they were a complete waste of time and are best removed if you are modifying lighting.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

thanks for the info people. will look in to removing them next time the grill is off.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van