Hooking up during winter months

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Taw Cottage
80-90 Mem No: 9513

Hooking up during winter months

Post by Taw Cottage »

Hi Guys

Following on from 1664's comments on "Zig unit" thread, Am I right or wrong to leave my Westy hooked up to mains electric during winter months :?

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal

Westy 2.1 WBX Denk an die Umwelt Fahr mit dem Bus

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: Hooking up during winter months

Post by BOXY »

Only if you can't leave the engine running instead. :rofl
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Mine stays on mains for 6 months of the year, small oil filled rad fitted plust smart charger, keeps is dry and nice inside.
mike

Taw Cottage

Post by Taw Cottage »

metalmick8y wrote:Mine stays on mains for 6 months of the year, small oil filled rad fitted plust smart charger, keeps is dry and nice inside.
mike

Cheers Mike, thanks for your sensible answer :wink:

Steve 8)
Life is not a rehearsal

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

oh dear NSOH.. :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

I find that using it every day keeps my van nice and dry. Plus I have LESS problems from not leaving it to rot for 6 months :wink:

It was made to be driven

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Oh I dont lay it up during winter I keep the heat on for the rerasons I state plus it stops the ob water freezing and is alweays nice and toasty to go of in.
M :D

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Taw Cottage wrote:Hi Guys

Following on from 1664's comments on "Zig unit" thread, Am I right or wrong to leave my Westy hooked up to mains electric during winter months :?

Steve
You can leave it connected to the mains 365 days a year if you want - can't see any harm in it as in the oil filled radiator option. I was merely pointing out that the 'Zig' manual stated that the Zig Unit itself shouldn't be left permanantly charging :wink:
1664 wrote:I don't know why you're that enthusiastic to charge the starter battery anyway as the alternator charges it when you drive anywhere. Unless you're planning on laying the van up for the winter months - but I believe the manual states not to leave the Zig charger on continuously.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Taw Cottage wrote:Hi Guys

Steve

You are WRONG to leave the hookup connected permanently on a Westy.....the BBB (Black box charger) isn't a smart charger and doesn't turn down to float charge state (like modern multi stage chargers do) it will just keep charging away, admitedly on it's lower output but after a month or so your batteries (both of them) will be boiled dry.
Both of them because the original BBB charges both.

If your camper has a newer charger fitted, something more modern like the latest Numax, Sterling or CTEK then it would be fine.
These sense a fully charged battery and either turn off or pulse, charging turned down to an absolute minimum, just to keep topped up (float) and so these newer more sophisticated units can be left on all the time without damage.

A radiator with 'frost protection' setting might be useful, as would de-humidifying crystals in one of those proper plastic trays.
Pull upholstery/cushions away from cold outter surfaces, drain your cold water tank, cover up your tyres with black bin liners (if you want to go that far)
Charge the batteries with the onboard charger for 12 - 16 hours every 8 to 12 weeks.
Start your engine once a fortnight and run it for 10 minutes or so (ideally drive it but then I guess it's likely not road legal)

I'm sure there are a few more storage tips that people will come up with.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Taw Cottage

Post by Taw Cottage »

California Dreamin wrote:
You are WRONG to leave the hookup connected permanently on a Westy.....the BBB (Black box charger) isn't a smart charger and doesn't turn down to float charge state (like modern multi stage chargers do) it will just keep charging away, admitedly on it's lower output but after a month or so your batteries (both of them) will be boiled dry.
Both of them because the original BBB charges both.

Martin

So what should I do if staying the winter months hooked up on site in Spain :?

Steve
Life is not a rehearsal

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

It's a little different if you're in the van, you can regularly check battery levels and top up with distilled water when necessary. However, the constant battery activity may shorten battery life long term.
In this situation (permenantly hooked up) I would be tempted to look at fitting some sort of manual overide switch to enable the battery charger to be turned off then use it to charge the batteries every one in three days....something like that.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx