Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

thermo housing

Post by Oldjets »

Hi
Don't want to worry you or anything, but you might want to look at this:roll:
http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd479/adspjr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There have been a couple of recent posts about thermostat housings. Pic shows typical state of 20 year old plastic component in my DG cooling system. I 've known about this had a tiny leak for some time - all that was visible was a trace of damp around the fixing bolt hole. As it was time to change the antifreeze, I decided to replace the thermostat and housing while I was at it. Once off you can see old housing has big cracks at both end of the bolt hole. Although cracks have not quite gone right through to waterway, coolant was seeping out across the face of the housing and into bolt hole, seizing the bolt in place. Plenty of Plus Gas and a few choice words go the bolts out eventually. New housing (Brickwerks) and bolts (VAG) in hand, so should be good for next 20 years. Might be worth checking yours now before summer overheating season gets underway....

Oldjets

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: thermo housing

Post by Ian Hulley »

Thermostathousingitis, not restricted to the T25 either ... the Golf/Jetta/Scirocco nearside head outlets suffer the same.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure