Speed of a properly serviced and tuned engine?

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Torkijo
80-90 Mem No: 8332

Speed of a properly serviced and tuned engine?

Post by Torkijo »

Hi
We have a 1.6TD Westy Hitop Club Joker, it happily sits at 55-60mph but wondering if it would sit nicely at 70mph if i had a complete service and tune up of the engine?

Also, would this help it at all on the hills or is that a lost cause?

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: Speed of a properly serviced and tuned engine?

Post by Red Westie »

With only 75bhp on tap the 1.6TD wasn't designed to go anywhere fast. 55-60mph is the sweet spot and best speed for fuel economy although if you really want to 65-70mph is doable but at a heavy price as the fuel consumption will drop to the very low 30's with the additional noise and shortened engine life.
Tuning the engine....about the only things possible in terms of ensuring the engine is running as well as it should are: tappet clearances, pump timing, clean filters and fresh oil.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Torkijo

Post by Torkijo »

Red Westie wrote:With only 75bhp on tap the 1.6TD wasn't designed to go anywhere fast. 55-60mph is the sweet spot and best speed for fuel economy although if you really want to 65-70mph is doable but at a heavy price as the fuel consumption will drop to the very low 30's with the additional noise and shortened engine life.
Tuning the engine....about the only things possible in terms of ensuring the engine is running as well as it should are: tappet clearances, pump timing, clean filters and fresh oil.

Martin

Cheers

Out of interest, how much should i be expecting to pay for a full service including decent quality Cam belt?

ttcharlie
80-90 Mem No: 3706

Post by ttcharlie »

You will also find that its not engine power that you are running out of (not that there is alot on a JX) but gearing.

My Westy JX Hightop probably does the same speed as yours, but any faster the engine seems to be reving high because of the gearing.

I've also worked out the time difference between cruising along at 60mph in the camper, and bombing along in the 'Audi mothership' at what seems like 90mph. the difference in travel time is actualy not what you would think...
Counting Bricks........

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I've also worked out the time difference between cruising along at 60mph in the camper, and bombing along in the 'Audi mothership' at what seems like 90mph. the difference in travel time is actualy not what you would think...

quite true mate
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Torkijo

Post by Torkijo »

ttcharlie wrote:

True, but its more about having that little bit extra to overtake the caravans

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Torkijo wrote:True, but its more about having that little bit extra to overtake the caravans

Stay behind them until you reach an incline, but if you see a green LPG powered high top van flying towards you move your old burning slug out of the way :wink:

jamesandtheopenroad
80-90 Mem No: 8279

Post by jamesandtheopenroad »

Cruz, what "Cruz"ing speed do you get from your 1.9DGH lpg? I've got one too. Also what sort of mpg? Think mine might be settling back a bit weak all the time ...
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

Torkijo

Post by Torkijo »

:D

How much was the conversion?

Cruz wrote:
Torkijo wrote:True, but its more about having that little bit extra to overtake the caravans

Stay behind them until you reach an incline, but if you see a green LPG powered high top van flying towards you move your old burning slug out of the way :wink: