french lost in uk

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ladyna
80-90 Mem No: 9495

french lost in uk

Post by ladyna »

Hi guys

I’m going to live soon in your country, I’m french, and never been to england with my T25.
I’m looking for informations about places to stay, and how do english react in front of a T25 with, french plates, and french girl in it, will the police chase me, is there lots of vandalism like in France, is there things I’ve to take care about ?
I have seen this website http://www.funplace2b.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but is there another like ours in France where’s a map of interesting point http://www.t3zone.com/poi.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
And most of it the ferry which company do you think is best ?

Sorry for the numbers of questions.

Thanks in advance,
N

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: french lost in uk

Post by AdrianC »

Bienvenue, Ladyna!

Where in the UK are you going to be? The amount of trouble you'll get will vary widely depending on the area you're in. But there's nothing that should cause a major problem - you're more likely to have to fight the lads off...

Ferry company? They're all awful... If you're coming Calais-Dover, then it doesn't really matter, you're only on for an hour. Whichever's cheapest.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

ladyna wrote:is there lots of vandalism like in France, is there things I’ve to take care about ?

I don't have numbers to prove it, but I get the feeling that vehicle vandalism is much more common in France. There certainly isn't the culture of setting fire to vehicles in the UK. Even during the (very occasional) violent protest, cars are rarely targets. Just make sure you don't have any royals as passengers. :)

I hope you enjoy the UK. We're generally very tolerant of different people and different cultures. I know a few French people who, in London at least, felt they were better accepted here than they would be as non Parisiens in Paris.

On the downside, our roads are busier and because we are much more densely populated, it's harder to find remote places. Also, we dont have the same level of camping culture. No municipal sites, and very variable quality with the commercial sites. But there are some great ones out there, you just need to ask around and read reviews.

If you can afford the fuel, I'd recommend going up to the Scottish Highlands. It's very dramatic. Or North Wales, which is a bit easier for most people to get to.

(My perfect country would be a blend of England and France).

ladyna

Post by ladyna »

Hi thanks for your answer ;)
I’m going to see around gillingham or brighton or whatever it depends where I can find a job in IT and stay peacefully with my van
« fight the lads off » excuse me but i don’t understand.
The lads = les gars in french
I’ll have to fight with someone ? ô_O

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

paulo999 wrote:(My perfect country would be a blend of England and France).

France, with a few less English people.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ladyna

Post by ladyna »

paulo999 wrote:
I don't have numbers to prove it, but I get the feeling that vehicle vandalism is much more common in France. There certainly isn't the culture of setting fire to vehicles in the UK. Even during the (very occasional) violent protest, cars are rarely targets. Just make sure you don't have any royals as passengers. :)

Hi Paulo,
royals like royal : king and queen and stuff ?
thought english people love their queen, nope ?

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

ladyna wrote:I’m going to see around gillingham or brighton or whatever it depends where I can find a job in IT and stay peacefully with my van

Brighton's nice, but very "desirable". Gillingham, well, isn't.

« fight the lads off » excuse me but i don’t understand.
The lads = les gars in french
I’ll have to fight with someone ? ô_O

A young French lady with a cool van - I think you might prove to be popular... <grin>

ladyna

Post by ladyna »

Gillingham isn't nice ?
8O
or there's no job ?

george 57
80-90 Mem No: 5442

Post by george 57 »

Gillingham is ok there is factory work to be found there but im not so sure about I T work .... brighton is good also try hampshire its still in the south ...... im sure you will be able to handle any unwanted males... :ok

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

ladyna wrote:
paulo999 wrote:

Hi Paulo,
royals like royal : king and queen and stuff ?
thought english people love their queen, nope ?

Some do some don't. It's changed alot since the first T25 rolled off the production line. We're not beheading them yet, but there isn't the reverence there once was. That's mainly for American tourists. :)

ladyna

Post by ladyna »

guys thanks for all your replies, it looks like uk is not the perfect land for t25 owner.

However thanks again.

ladyna

Post by ladyna »

guys

can you tell me if it's safe in uk for me by myself in the van ?
is it ok to ask landowners to stay a night ?

:oops:

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

ladyna wrote:can you tell me if it's safe in uk for me by myself in the van ?

Unless you pick a really horrible area - then absolutely, yes.

is it ok to ask landowners to stay a night ?

Of course! The worst that can happen is they say "no".

ladyna

Post by ladyna »

Adrianc thanks again Monsieur :)

toilets and shower are they easily accessible ?

in the north west is there job ? in IT ? the lake district seems so beautiful...

Madwitch
80-90 Mem No: 4329

Post by Madwitch »

Since you will be bringing your van you will be in a great position to travel about until you find somewhere you like AND a job. Why not fill in the membership form at the top and become a member rather than just a forum user? That way you'll have access to all sorts of members only stuff, including lots of weekend and holiday camping meets. Get yourself to a few of these and meet some of us! People travel from all over the country to be at some of the meets and shows so you will be able to talk to people and find out about different places. (It also means you may be able to contact people if anything goes wrong!)

The Lakes are beautiful, as are the Yorkshire Dales and Moors, Wales, Scotland, Norfolk, Cornwall etc etc - there are beautiful places everywhere but not always jobs.

There are a lot of public toilets all over the place but very few public showers. Some motorway service stations have them but you won't normally get these facilities unless you stay on a camp site.

The 80-90 community is very welcoming. We will always wave to other T25s and T4s (and T5s - just to annoy them!)
Carolyn

The Witch is in!