Diesel starter problem with wiring

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

iain
80-90 Mem No: 3505

Diesel starter problem with wiring

Post by iain »

Went out to van and it started this morning nada at lunch, checked that there was power when using the ignition switch Yep
pulled cap of to reveal main power; power there. Then looked at wire from solenoid to starter it had broken off at the solenoid end (crimped onto a ring.. My questions

Should i remove starter to sort this or should i work from underneath?

What gauge wire is this? and should i get a new piece or persevere with the old? (presume this is the live to the stater as it looks quite chunky and is encased in a protective slieve.

Any help would be appreciated and yes ii don know i need to disconnect earth before i start ;)

Cheers

Iain

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Diesel starter problem with wiring

Post by R0B »

if i were you.i would be taking it off.and taking it to my local auto electrician to get it refurbed.i paid £40 recently to have mine done.a lot cheaper than buying a new one..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Re: Diesel starter problem with wiring

Post by Red Westie »

Definately remove the starter, this is a very heavy braided wire and needs to be repaired properly as it has to transfer some SERIOUS amperage to the motor on those cold mornings.
I have seen some effective repairs done with a heavy soldering iron basically rebuilding the broken braid by saturating with solder obviously taking care to avoid any close contact with the starter body and being sure to electrically insulate. As I say, whatever you do, this needs to be capable of carrying some very heavy current (150-200amps)
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx