Coolant Top Up?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JCL
80-90 Mem No: 7542

Coolant Top Up?

Post by JCL »

My coolant/anti freeze requires topping up, however, I am aware that mixing different types is damaging. Trouble is I dont know what type my 91 2.1 dj has in it except that its blue in colour. I dont want to drain and replace just yet as according to the extensive service history records it was replaced only 8 months ago ie just before I bought her. Any advice appreciated.

The new love of my life :)
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz16 ... ertie1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Re: Coolant Top Up?

Post by Nicola&Tony »

JCL wrote:My coolant/anti freeze requires topping up . . .

Because the mix is too weak, or because the level is too low in the expansion tank?

Nice looking van. :ok

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

If it's blue it's probably just a generic 'Comma Frostmaster' styleee anti-freeze which is fine. The officially approved stuff costs a fortune and the way most WBXer systems work out the stuff's never in there beyond the 2 year recommended period anyway. :lol:

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

I agree....as this is blue it is almost definately older type coolant (phosphate?) not one of the newer organic acid? types. Any old style blue/green antifreeze will be OK, just make sure it isn't long life organ/acid (pink/orange in colour)
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

JCL

Post by JCL »

Many thanks for the prompt replies folks. The most recent record of anti freeze topping up in the history was entered on the invoice as
' anti freeze - £5' by a general garage mechanic in Southampton and not a t25 speicalist, therefore, i suspect that you are correct and that my system contains generic comma type fluid. Therefore, im assuming that i can purchase the halfords product designed for older vehicles or a comma equivalent? I m only talking about a small amount to top up as its just down to the minimun level on the reservoir having covered a few hundred miles in my ownership in recent months.

Love of my life mark2......the van not the mrs in the shot :lol:
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz16 ... lbert5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

A fiver doesn't buy you much of anything these days, I'd personally be tempted to go down the route of flushing it through and starting again. That way you know you have the correct concentration of the correct coolant/antifreeze. You also know your system pressurises properly and can check for / fix any leaks. Cheaper to do it properly at first than have any issues with coolant loss later down the line.

All the info is in the wiki and the cost of the coolant is not a lot compared with the investment in your van.
What a long strange trip it's been

JCL

Post by JCL »

Thanks for that andi and self learning the flushing process is on my agenda for this spring, in the meantime i merely want to top up to get me through the minimal use the van will have until that time. Halfords here i come.

Cheers.

ojsmith
80-90 Mem No: 6492

Post by ojsmith »

that's a very handsome van!

Red Westie

Post by Red Westie »

A £5.00 charge for antifreeze on a service is just a 'top up' charge, I'm guessing just a litre of the cheap stuff. These engines have an overall coolant capacity in the region of 17litres and so an antifreeze change requires around 8litres to get the required 50% strength. About £26.00 using cheap antifreeze and alot more if using VW G12+.
Pick yourself up a cheap antifreeze checker...these have a series of balls that float depending on the percentage strength of the antifreeze mix.
Check by drawing coolant from the main tank NOT overflow (Access under engine cover) this will be an accurate reflection of coolant strength.
I would also say that I bet the garage wasn't as concencious as you and put anything in.

Martin

JCL

Post by JCL »

Thanks Westie for the very helpful information, and OJ for the complimentary remark! Yes he is a very handsome van, genuine 14k miles and showroom condition i kid you not :wink:

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz16 ... lbert3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

Post by Oldjets »

Hi JCL and OJ
Sorry to go off topic, but - great vans! Thought I had a pretty good one until I saw what you two each have. Need to at least tidy up my side stripes looking at how good yours are. Can't believe you found one with with such a low mileage JCL. If I need to check original condition of anything I know where to come now. The pop top Autosleepers seem to be less common than high tops and other makes, at least in the west country - have only seen two in the last year.

Best vehicles ever though...

Oldjets

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

With such a low mileage unless you can find evidence of the colant having been changed in any recent years, I would be looking to drian flush and refill with fresh.. Personally, due to age (most of us milage too) you will inevitable get some leak/component fail within a couple of years, so I wouldnt use the expensive VW stuff. a good branded one is fine.. in the right mix.. Witham oils do a good one.. and as prev said Comma also good.. Halfords should be a good brand but you will find its costly I should imagine... (certainly there oils are..) GSF must do a quality coolant.. (i've never bought any from them...)

Oh.. I'd also suggest using demin water as the dilutant unless you live in a particularly soft water area.. (DO NOT use "softened" water from your domestic system though, thats not the same..)

JCL

Post by JCL »

Oldjets , no need to apologise for going off the original topic when your new chosen topic involves admiring and complimenting my van.....bring it on mate :lol:

Toomanytoys, many thanks for the helpful information, i will listen to your advice and action the drain, flush refill with a standard quality coolant and appropriate diluting water very soon.

Love of my life from the rear....oooh err :wink:
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz16 ... lbert4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

If it is of any interest I checked my antifreeze strengths recently (a bit after the event really) using the six disk antifreeze hydrometer. I was looking for three disks and found:
T25 having recently had head refited by well known firm under warranty 1 1/2 disks floating. Clearly in need of stronger sol;ution.
Mondeo engine rebuilt by me about six years ago and topped up rarely - 3 disks floating - Good
50cc watercooled Pugeot moptorcyle proffesionally serviced about four years ago and topped up rarely 1 1/2 disks floating.
I think I was lucky to get away with it that time. One really can't trust somother people can one!. :roll:
Cheers
Wolfie
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Red Westie

Post by Red Westie »

Trouble being...if these things are not driven daily then cold snaps like the one we have just had, can really take hold and freeze weak coolant into solid ice...this rarely happens on a vehicle driven daily as there is a certain amount of residual heat that simply isn't there on a vehicle that is stood for weeks on end.
Martin