AAZ lost power - what could cause that?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

AAZ lost power - what could cause that?

Post by ringo »

Here's the run up of events that led to me being towed home from the M5 a couple of weeks ago. Its taken me this long to even think about it as im a bit fed up. Any help much appreciated!

During my recent trip to cornwall after three days of camping i started the van and the oil light was flashing. No buzzer of doom - just a flashing light. Engine sounded sweet.
I checked the oil level and everything looked fine - as i was in a field in the middle of nowhere i made a decision to drive anyway. After 10 mins the oil light stopped flashing and everything was groovy. I put this down to condensation gathering in the instrument pod - no idea if this is related.

On the final day the engine didnt start as easily - it felt like one or two glowplugs were out so it started on the second attempt while i was giving it a lot of gas.
Stuck in traffic on the M5 the engine seemed to be "pinking" while idling - i dont know why but i thought to my self "i must check the timing when i get home".
Driving up a long hill the engine started to get warm - normal for a turbo, but then i noticed a lack of power. Not an instant loss - but the almost like i was driving a 1Y again.
After thirty minutes or so on another hill, the engine got hot again and didnt cool down as i would expect on the flats - the next big hill i lost so much power i had to change down a gear - at this point there was a plume of black smoke and i lost all power and had to be recovered.

The engine starts but sounds like crap.
Everything is solid and no oil leaks.
The timing belt timing seems to be spot on. I have no way of checking the pump timing.
There is oil in the coolant.

Im wondering what to do next before i decide to change the engine - any suggestions welcome.

Do i have to take the timing belt off to see if the bottom pulley is loose (it seems pretty solid now) ?

Thanks for looking

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Re: AAZ lost power - what could cause that?

Post by Fritz »

Sounds to me like like a fuel delivery problem, I'd be having the pump checked before condemning the motor.

Regards

Fritz,,,,,, :D
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

If you say there is oil in the coolant,that could be an indication of a problem with the head gasket, would also explain loss of power..Mark
thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ringo

Post by ringo »

pocolow wrote:If you say there is oil in the coolant,that could be an indication of a problem with the head gasket, would also explain loss of power..Mark

It does explain the oil in the coolant - but never before have i suffered loss of power from a head failure. Is it common?

Thanks

Ringo

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

Head gasket or cracked head, probably due to cooking it. OIl in the coolant can be caused by a knackered oil cooler (the sandwich between the filter body and the filter head with the pipes running to it) BUT this wouldn`t explain the power loss. The wobbly pulley is an obvious one to see, just grab the bottom pulley and give it a good shake, side to side and rotational, it will be obvious if it`s loose. Heavy pinking before letting go would suggest that the timing was slipping due to the pulley moving (mine did it but I caught it straight away) and fixed it.

Inspect inside the cambox first, looking for signs of cooked cam bearings etc, then strip down and remove the head. Take it from there. Any signs that it`s been starved of oil, like mild seizure in the bores etc, and I`d be looking for a new motor.
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}

ringo

Post by ringo »

Thanks.

The bottom pulley seems solid enough - although the belt might be making it appear tight.

The cams all look fine.

Im going to have to buy a micrometer to check the pump timing i suppose....

After that, its the head off....

Ringo

Grumpy Midget

Post by Grumpy Midget »

Driving up a long hill the engine started to get warm - normal for a turbo, but then i noticed a lack of power. Not an instant loss - but the almost like i was driving a 1Y again.
After thirty minutes or so on another hill, the engine got hot again and didnt cool down as i would expect on the flats - the next big hill i lost so much power i had to change down a gear - at this point there was a plume of black smoke and i lost all power and had to be recovered.

This could also indicate a blown Turbo , As suggested in one of above replies check the rubber ring gasket that sandwich your oil cooler,
I had oil in coolant bottle once, Took head off and all was ok. Cost me around £80.00 for gaskets and new bolts, Turned out to be rubber ring on oil cooler £1.30p GSF.

Sorry to here your problems Ringo, But your not having much luck with engines mate, Why did you change from The 1Y??.
I played around with Turbo engines when doin my conversion, (nothing but problems) thats why I am running a 1Y now

shanco73
80-90 Mem No: 6874

Post by shanco73 »

I would have to go along with grumps and say check your turbo

good luck
85 high top, home brew
engine 1995 AAZ (Mirtle)
sleeps 2 adults and one baby - so far
Off road (under MIG at the mo)
Soon to be seen at a campsiye near you !!

shanco73@hotmail.com surrey

ringo

Post by ringo »

Thanks for all the support guys.

The timing was out. The cam and the pump were aligned but the flywheel was slightly off.

Took the timing belt off and the bottom pulley was flopping around - not loads moving. Im guessing thats why the timing slipped.

So, its time to put the spare engine in before cromer......

Ringo