Brake Fade

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ivybvus
80-90 Mem No: 3619

Brake Fade

Post by Ivybvus »

Given we had good weather in Devon and Cornwall - almost a first for this summer - we decided to take a trip from South Devon to North Cornwall. The missus likes to look at the view - which means going the senic route - narrow lanes, steep hills (up and down) and 90* bends, gave me, the clutch and brakes a good work out :) - unfortunetly about 10 miles short of our target and coming down one of those steep bits I trod on the anchors and the foot went almost to the floor :o A quick pump or two and the brakes came back, made it to Bude and crawled all under the van - no sign of cracks, leaks or splits - scratch head and call Brittania Rescue - with us within 30 mins. Again - scratch head, check fluid etc - no loss - test drive up to the camp site - I can recommend Penholt Farm - very nice views of the bay and sunset - and everything was fine - so left with a puzzle - did the good workout I gave them on the way over mean that I got them "too hot to handle" :? - or is their a mystery gremlin in the works, came back on main roads and she was fine today

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Brake Fade

Post by R0B »

sounds like your fluid was boiling. boiling= carp braking...
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Ivybvus
80-90 Mem No: 3619

Post by Ivybvus »

Thanks - won't rush to give all my money to the garage man - but will monitor and see how she goes

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Post by Grun »

Ivybus,
Have a read of this.............http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 6#p7393626........" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Mike
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Not brake fade! but vapour lock!
Brake fade is when the brake pad/shoe linings get so hot the coefficient of friction decreases so effectively you have to push harder on the brake pedal to stop at the same rate.
Vapour lock is when the fluid reaches it's boiling point, as bubbles in the fluid ARE compressable the effect is that the pedal goes to the floor.
Old brake fluid contaminated with just 1 or 2% of water will boil at a substantially lower temperature so changing fluid every two years for fresh DOT4 is essential.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

The_blue
80-90 Mem No: 3484

Post by The_blue »

I've had the brakes go spongy a couple of times (this weekend was one, that hill going the senic route to leek)

I changed the fluid at least twice last MOT (balance issues we couldn't figure out). but it still becomes harder to stop on a long hill.

Use the engine to slow where you can.

Hows you anyway Martin? looked for you at RTTH :)
Joined club Talbot!

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Rule of thumb on steep winding roads... Come down the hill in same gear it takes to climb it. That way engine does most of the braking.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

And that is of course what the signes refer to when they say select a low gear.
Fine matey....was in France and so missed RTTH, shame really as it is generally the best show of the year, better than Vanfest.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx