Diesel Starter question

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Diesel Starter question

Post by meggles »

I have a 1.6 diesel. The starter is playing up. I turn the key and only get a click from the relay. If I get an assistant to turn the key whilst I gently tap the starter it starts OK. It's been done lots before 'cos I can see the indentations on the solenoid body! Anyway, I took the starter off tonight and took the two screws out of the solenoid. Yes, there should be three, another bodge I have found!! :x Took out the solenoid and ..... what now? I can't strip it, I can't see how. Can I test and clean it somehow? Do I just buy a replacement solenoid and hope for the best? Are they still available? Or do I buy a VERY long handled hammer and leave engine cover off? Do I ask on here for a good used one? Are there any about?
All advice gladly received.
BTW, need to sort it quickly 'cos I am going to Rainton in a week and a half. (Another plug for Rainton and free camping!!!) :wink:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Diesel Starter question

Post by Aidan »

the cap for the solenoid is pressed in and the case rolled over it on out starter, you need the correct tools to strip them down and replace the cap which is also fairly specific to our starter , the cap is where the contacts are and it's these that will be foobarred. Rust also forms inside and limits operation.
Good local alternator/stater place can refurb for less than cost of new solenoid. Might as well get the whole thing done properly or get an exchange refurb or outright sale off ebay.
I have diesel starter fully refurb in stock £100 exch. there are cheaper sources.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

dus it bench test ok keith ?
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

meggles

Post by meggles »

weldore wrote:dus it bench test ok keith ?

Well, Yes! But it is ok after a tap with a hammer for a few days then plays up again. The jarring from removing it will no doubt be the same as a gentle belt with a hammer (or my wallet, full of bills). Guess I'll only know if I leave it in garage and try bench testing every few days. I reckon best bet is to buy a new solenoid and see how it goes, or get recon as Aidan says. Can't be that expensive.
Just put a "bid" in on an E reg caravelle. Don't know engine type/size or condition. Tin top with lots of seats and a rotten rear arch. That's all I know. Watch this space. Could be a 1.6 diesel!(I should be so lucky).:roll:
Thanks Aidan, might be contacting you.

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

Have you cleaned up the mating faces on the starter and bell housing?

Has the same problem on mine and each time I tapped with a hammer the starter earthed and worked. When I tested it on the bench it work ok. A quick check would be to earth directly from the starter solenoid to the negative on the battery with jump leads.
Worth ruling out if you haven't already
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

meggles

Post by meggles »

Windysurfer, thanks but I've done that already. I even took a live lead to starter, same problem. Definately starter/solenoid that's faulty. That is a less than common fault though (the faulty earthing on the starter). You'd think the bolts would earth it wouldn't you. This is where an owners experience can beat a generally qualified mechanics knowledge sometimes.
Thanks again for suggestion.

weldore

Post by weldore »

your buying another van then keith ???

meggles

Post by meggles »

weldore wrote:your buying another van then keith ???

Hopefully! It is more rotten than this one was! Just getting it for spares! Will let you have first refusal on any surplus stuff if I do get it. :wink:

meggles

Post by meggles »

The starter: Been into local auto electricians. He said a new solenoid is required and will cost £20 approx. The numbers he required from the starter body are
0 001 917 016
He said the listing he has does not recognise these numbers :? I have double checked the numbers. Is there another set on the starter somewhere, or does this set sound to be correct? Any ideas please?

meggles

Post by meggles »

Update as follows:
I turn the key and nothing happens except a click from relay behind glovebox. I get someone to hold key in start position and I then give solenoid a gentle tap with a hammer and it starts. This is intermittent! I just stripped and cleaned everything, all leads and bolts and washers. Battery posts too! Wouldn't start. Put a wire from positive terminal to spade connector on solenoid and..... nothing!!! Did it again and again.... on about 6th occasion the bloody thing started up :roll:
Sure it's got to be solenoid.!!!!
Question: As it's impossible to reach the key and be at the back of the van at the same time, could I take a lead from + terminal on battery and touch this on the solenoid terminal and then hit the solenoid? Would this work? I'm talking about a "get me out of trouble" remedy, rather than long term!

weldore

Post by weldore »

dus the solenoid pull in every time keith or is there no click there either ?

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

Use a single jump lead, from the NEGATIVE on the battery and clamp it right on the nose of the starter. This cured the same fault on mine (after presuming it must be the live feed causing the problem, for hours) I`ve now got a piece of 50 amp cable permanantly attached from the battery neg, to one of the screws on the solenoid, works fine, has done for over 12 months. (I`ve got a brand-new starter sat waiting for the day that it doesn`t)
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}

meggles

Post by meggles »

Westy.Club.Joker wrote:Use a single jump lead, from the NEGATIVE on the battery and clamp it right on the nose of the starter. This cured the same fault on mine (after presuming it must be the live feed causing the problem, for hours) I`ve now got a piece of 50 amp cable permanantly attached from the battery neg, to one of the screws on the solenoid, works fine, has done for over 12 months. (I`ve got a brand-new starter sat waiting for the day that it doesn`t)

Is it possible that the starter itself is earthing OK but the solenoid isn't? Is that what you mean? If so I think it could just be a vague possibility.

Weldore: Dave, the starter and solenoid dont click as such, but I could see the piston shaped thingy in the wotsit was appearing to spin (?)(ie the bit you can see when you take the solenoid off, where the spring rests. (If you see what I mean). It didn't click at all.

weldore

Post by weldore »

when you took it out and tested it did you leave the main positive feed from the battery still connected and used the jump lead to power up the solenoid terminal with another jump lead from the body to the negetive on the battery?
if you disconnected the main feed from the battery to it then it wouldnt spin it would just pull the solenoid in

meggles

Post by meggles »

whoops!! No, just let starter rest on top of engine. No extra leads :oops:
Can see what you mean. Having said that, when all assembled again same problem occured!