Bad Earth

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Bad Earth

Post by windysurfer »

I've been having problems starting my van. When I turn the key nothing happens.
I've bought a new battery and clean up all the terminals which I thought had fixed the problem.
When I came to start it up today nothing :roll:

I was going to buy a new starter but GFS has just closed down near me so I went to a local starter refurb place who was just locking up. After a quick chat he said to try a set of jump lead directly to the starter to test it.
When I attached the negative between the solenoid and the negative on the battery the van started.

I've cleaned the earthing strap on the gearbox up but this doesn't help.I should add I've just had the gearbox changed.
If I clamp the negative directly to the gearbox the van will not start. Its as though the starter is not earthing though the gearbox!

Any ideas.
I'm hoping to go on holiday on Monday so a quick fix will do for now
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Re: Bad Earth

Post by jason k »

what about taking a sperate heavy duty earth to the body somewhere for now??
98 Westfalia James Cook

windysurfer

Post by windysurfer »

Just called at scrappy and picked up a meter of Battery cable :ok

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

most auto accessory type shops will have different length earth straps for just a few quid, may be worth getting one if your cable from the scrappy doesn't have terminals on it, then earth one of the starter mounting bolts directly to a good clean solid bit of the body with a nut and bolt, also, check how good the very long thick positive cable from the battery to the starter is too, as mine was only holding on by a few strands at the starter solenoid end, and caused starting probs, eventually breaking off miles from home and being fixed by the RAC! :)

windysurfer

Post by windysurfer »

I've removed the starter and cleaned up the mating faces between it and the bellhousing, cleaned the main earth strap on the engine. Put it all back together and it will now start, but for how long?

Main positive cable is in good condition and connectors cleaned when this problem first began

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

A point often overlooked is that these leads usually have crimp-on terminals - corrosion and high resistance just waiting to happen. I will not use crimp terminals and always solder all of them - even battery ones. Years with boat engines and corrosive salt atmosphere has taught me this - exposed engine wiring is in the same boat so to speak.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

windy...mine has never let me down since i cleaned the mating faces on the gearbox to starter..this is my post on it...
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... d#p7324223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

windysurfer

Post by windysurfer »

Weldore, thats exactly what I've done today so fingers crossed my troubles are over.

Also got some kind soul of BY going to give my started the once over just to be sure

Thats should put my mind at rest :ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

if it's a diesel then run the earth strap direct to the starter motor bolts into the block don't use the earth strap to the gearbox mount, it only encourages corrosion which can destroy the end of a five speed box.
but these bolts need to be well tight to ensure good contact esp if the gearbox has been painted :idea

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

I would also say that it doesn't matter how many earth straps you have, so keep the existing braided strap and add a second as was previously mentioned, between the chassis (clean to bare metal) and one of the starter mounting bolts.
Also......there has been no mention of the battery earth strap and earthing point, is that 100% ?

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

It may also be worth noting at this point that ignition switches are also prone and give similar symptoms to earthing faults (intermittant starting, delayed starting etc)
These cost about £9.00 from GSF with about an hour fitting time.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

windysurfer

Post by windysurfer »

Aidan wrote:if it's a diesel then run the earth strap direct to the starter motor bolts into the block don't use the earth strap to the gearbox mount, it only encourages corrosion which can destroy the end of a five speed box.
but these bolts need to be well tight to ensure good contact esp if the gearbox has been painted :idea

I remember you mentioning this but couldn't remember where you said to take the earth
to.
Red Westie wrote:I would also say that it doesn't matter how many earth straps you have, so keep the existing braided strap and add a second as was previously mentioned, between the chassis (clean to bare metal) and one of the starter mounting bolts.
Also......there has been no mention of the battery earth strap and earthing point, is that 100% ?

Martin

Aidan recommended removing the earthing strap on a five speed box due to electrolysis weakening the end of the box where there's a bearing ( think I remember that right).

I've also given the main earth strap a good clean.

Hopefully its not the ignition switch as my local GSF has just closed down.If it was my switch would this mean I wouldn't get 12v to the thin wire on the starter?

My plan, if it ever stops raining is to run a new earth from the chassis to the starter mounting bolt

I can also borrow a starter if this fix doesn't work or get mine recon'd first thing Monday morning as theres a recon place just down the road.