To seal or not to seal

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

To seal or not to seal

Post by Red Westie »

I'm Just seeking an opinion......
I had a new front windscreen fitted a few weeks back, nice blue graduated tint...lovely! National windscreens fitted it using a new rubber I supplied from Just Kampers. It seems to be water tight and everything but I thought that they would have used a sealing gun around it and they have not. I'm not saying this is wrong but long term... considering leaky screens can be an issue on T25's....do you think they should have?
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: To seal or not to seal

Post by R0B »

the leaky screen problem is more to do about the metal around the hole being rotten,more than anything else.if yours was ok.i see no reason why they should of used any sealant.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

jaymo
80-90 Mem No: 5467

Post by jaymo »

I had a full respray last year (windows out job) and had a lot of rot repaired along the bottom of the front screen, but even though repair work was carried out, I still have a problem with water in the footwell and a leak on a side window.
I must admit, it does have to P it down quite hard for the water to come through, but it's still a problem which needs sorting before the old iron oxide sets in again.

I've bought some stuff on fleabay called Arbomast, item number: 200231299070 which arrived today. It's supposed to be quite good stuff, so will be trying it out to see if it stops the drip drip drippin'. It probably won't rain once I've done the job, or is that just wishfull thinking?

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Dib Dib Dib Dub Dub Dub

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

jaymo that says more about the quality of the rubbers (unless the repair was not done correctly) than anything else.mr vw didnt use any sealant when these vans were made.as far as im aware..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

jaymo
80-90 Mem No: 5467

Post by jaymo »

They were JK rubbers, but not sure if there is a better quality rubber I could have opted for?

I'd rather not use sealant to be perfectly honest, but rather that than have a mobile foot bath in the van :?
Dib Dib Dib Dub Dub Dub

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

hi

When i had my windscreen replaced they used a seal
I would have opted for an original VW seal from go westy or http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/type25parts.htm

easy to replace and fleabay the jk one?

cheers
irishkeet
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

A genuine manual on disc i have shows sealant used on the rubbers, i just got a set of the JK rubbers and need to get all the glass taken out so i can repair the odd rusty hole, i'll ask the advice of the local mobile screen fitter guy who'll be taking them out/refitting them, but i'd feel better if they're sealant'd for peace of mind and dry carpets!

Red Westie

Post by Red Westie »

There is an historical context that I'm basing this question on...as some of you know, I'm an old spanner and had my first stint in the motor trade between 1977 and 1991. As a young mechanic (early 80's) I remember MOST glass simply sitting in rubbers but more importantly, I remember the window fitters coming around to our dealership using sealant especially on front screens. Things changed as bonded and other modern methods were introduced to newer models so.....I guess the question is: are the present day windsreen fitters NOT sealing because they are JUST NOT TRAINED OR USED TO DOING IT THIS WAY ANYMORE?
Martin

radman
80-90 Mem No: 6008

Post by radman »

Hi
Hi

My van has just come back from the paint shop, new rear tailgate with Status VW window rubber (who claim to use VW original or original manufacturer). I am very pleased with the finish, but have noticed that the window rubber is not as rigid / firm as the original and I have assumed that this is down to the original rubber stiffening over time with its age? However the sealant question makes me wonder? Is the sealant applied to the outer and inner rubber? Is there a retro approach or is it window out and start over again? Is the sealant available or just to the trade?

P.S. I am still waiting (several weeks) for two side rear window rubbers from Status VW, I have been told this is a manufacturing delay. Is anyone else in this situation or have heard any information on this or any other forums.

Radman

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

My Tuppence,
We put new OEM VW seals in after the respray 3 years ago.

No sealant and no leaks.
I can remember using sealant on some cars when I worked in a body shop some years ago (30).
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Red Westie

Post by Red Westie »

Cheers guys for your valuable comments.

Spiral
80-90 Mem No: 3826

Post by Spiral »

wasserleaker wrote:A genuine manual on disc i have shows sealant used on the rubbers, i just got a set of the JK rubbers and need to get all the glass taken out so i can repair the odd rusty hole, i'll ask the advice of the local mobile screen fitter guy who'll be taking them out/refitting them, but i'd feel better if they're sealant'd for peace of mind and dry carpets!

Doing some work on my westy today and noticed some wet under the drivers side carpet of my van. Anyway, lifted the outside rubber seal on the front windscreen and discovered that it was holding water both sides :shock: . Dried it as best I could and put some silacone sealant under the outside seal. So yes, I would definitely seal it for peace of mind :ok

jaylo264
80-90 Mem No: 4769

Post by jaylo264 »

dont use silicon, paint will not stick to it and it will separate in time -- use arbomast, our local mobile windscreen fitter just did an ace job on mine and smeared arbo around the metal side of the seal after fitting. Now nice and clean and waterproof.
jaylo
1986 Autohomes Kamper 1.9 Petrol DG

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

Spiral wrote:
wasserleaker wrote:A genuine manual on disc i have shows sealant used on the rubbers, i just got a set of the JK rubbers and need to get all the glass taken out so i can repair the odd rusty hole, i'll ask the advice of the local mobile screen fitter guy who'll be taking them out/refitting them, but i'd feel better if they're sealant'd for peace of mind and dry carpets!

Doing some work on my westy today and noticed some wet under the drivers side carpet of my van. Anyway, lifted the outside rubber seal on the front windscreen and discovered that it was holding water both sides :shock: . Dried it as best I could and put some silacone sealant under the outside seal. So yes, I would definitely seal it for peace of mind :ok

if its holding water then its not holed, i would check the aerial hole and the washerjets before slathering mastic everywhere, as mine leaked thru the aerial when i first had it....
98 Westfalia James Cook

Spiral
80-90 Mem No: 3826

Post by Spiral »

jason k wrote:
Spiral wrote:

if its holding water then its not holed, i would check the aerial hole and the washerjets before slathering mastic everywhere, as mine leaked thru the aerial when i first had it....

Good tip - thanks. Possible that water getting under the aerial seal. will investigate that if it continues. Another possibility could be the washer container under the carpet leaking water out of the filler. Obviously not a good a idea though if water laying under the windscreen seal, for obvious reasons.