WALLY ALERT!!

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jaydog
80-90 Mem No: 6029

WALLY ALERT!!

Post by jaydog »

I did something very stupid and need some advice on how to put it right.
I was trying to figure out why my interior light wouldn't work on the side door the other night, i was pushing the spring loaded door switch and the light wasn't working so for some reason i still cant explain i found myself pulling the brown wire all the way out, i connected the end to the unused spade connector on the light and hay presto it worked (of course it did). Now i cant for the life of me feed the wire back through and across the head lining to the light, i'm not normally a complete muppet but on this occation i sucumbed to the world of blondeness (and i'm a man.....allegedly!) can anyone offer any suggestions on how i can rectify the problem without taking out the head lining and restore my pride to full manliness status.

It's on a Devon conversion if thats any help?

Ta.

Jaypoodle.

pockets
80-90 Mem No: 6567

Re: WALLY ALERT!!

Post by pockets »

:roll: :) Could you not tape it securely to something like a tape measure then feed it back across the headlining to the aperture for the lamp? I only say tape measure as it sounds like you'll want something strong yet flexible.

Did you not think when you were pulling it out that it would have to go back in? (no carry-on stylee entendre intended)

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

i think you may have to remove the engine and gearbox to get it to go back in...sorry to be the one to tell you :(
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

jaydog

Post by jaydog »

The truth is mate, i didn't think anything, it was only when it was out that i realised what i had done. I blame the missus for giving me ear ache. i just needed to get out the house so i went to the van with brain disengaged. Tape measure sounds fine but the trouble is finding the hole in the top of the piller! :run

jaydog

Post by jaydog »

weldore wrote:i think you may have to remove the engine and gearbox to get it to go back in...sorry to be the one to tell you :(

cool, i'll get my toolbox....

weldore

Post by weldore »

ive just checked the haynes and if you remove one shoe and balance on your head it can be done too :mrgreen:

pockets
80-90 Mem No: 6567

Post by pockets »

Ah right, I have a hi-top so the interior light is mounted in a different way so I was guessing what the set-up is like. Any pics to help suggestions? :idea welding rod?

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

have your highlights done the same way as the wire next time your in the hairdresser, then just balance it on your head :ok

weldore

Post by weldore »

ricicles....i do believe you are madder than i :D

timtheenchanter
80-90 Mem No: 3498

Post by timtheenchanter »

Tape the connecter to a length of MIG wire. fold the other end of the MIG wire back on it's self so as it won't snag and feed it through the void. Easy. :D
TDI 'Autosleeper' Trident Syncro.
'It's not that lifes to short,just death is so bloody long'.

jaydog

Post by jaydog »

tis indeed a cunundrum, glad to see your all taking my plight seriously. Fancy puting the courtesy light on the opposite side of the van? HELP!!! :idea:
Last edited by jaydog on 26 Mar 2009, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

jaydog

Post by jaydog »

timtheenchanter wrote:Tape the connecter to a length of MIG wire. fold the other end of the MIG wire back on it's self so as it won't snag and feed it through the void. Easy. :D

do you wanna come and do it for me, i make a wicked cup of tea!

Vanagonman

Post by Vanagonman »

Since Volksworld is this weekend, and in Surrey.....and you LIVE in Surrey....and there are many campers with T3s spending several nights there...who are VERY helpful....

see what I'm getting at?
was....82 Westy, 80 Mk. 3 Transporter, 69 Bay
now....66 T1 LHD 1.6 Bus

* If you need it to arrive safe & in one piece..*

TravellingChick
80-90 Mem No: 5538

Post by TravellingChick »

Clearly the only answer is to completely gut the interior and re-fit it to your own design.

If you could do this in as eco-friendly, uber costly, new technological, highly stressed and long drawn out way that would be best.

Ensure you have Kevin McCloud and Sarah Beeny film your progress for an annoying CH4 program where the general public can sit back and chortle at your folly.

:ok

plurker
80-90 Mem No: 2359

Post by plurker »

jaydog wrote:Fancy puting the courtesy light on the opposite side of the van? HELP!!! :idea:

Aha. In that case what you need to to is change your van from RHD to LHD. Then the courtesy light will be on the correct side. Then follow the other advice about feeding the wire back. Job's a good'un :ok
Recon 2.1 DJ, 5spd manual
A 16 year build in 300 pictures  8)