Alloys wont fit HELP

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

REDWEDGE
80-90 Mem No: 2516

Alloys wont fit HELP

Post by REDWEDGE »

Right my wife has the a*** with me big time I ave been outside for most of the day lowerin the bus and treated her to a set of slk merc alloys now i have 2 problems my new bolts are to thick to go in the holes of the wheels and the merc ones are to thin and to top it of i have bolts on the front and studs on the back so

A. how easy is to convert the rears to bolts and has anyone done this
B. anyone now of anyone around peterborough are that can drill these holes out ( i have a piller drill at work but is it safe to do it)

Please help cos it looks like im sleepin in the bus :(

cheers nick

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

you need longer studs for the back.this means undoing the castelated nut and
removing the wheel hub.knocking the old studs out.and driving the longer ones in.i did mine not long ago.cant help with drilling the holes on your wheels sorry.

ps not sure if you need longer bolts on the front.theres a member called firetruk on here that sells them.i think http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/ sell them as well...
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

tobzman
80-90 Mem No: 2236

Post by tobzman »

I have a set of the same rims waiting to go on my van. The studs hole require drilling out to just over 14mm (VW studs are M14, Merc are M12).
I actually managed to drill mine out with a hand drill, however the trick was to use a step drill rather than a standard 14mm twist drill. It took about 15minutes to drill out all 4 rims.

As mentioned above you will need longer studs on the rear and longer bolts on the front or a stud conversion kit for the front. You will also need spacers on the front as the inner edge of the wheel fouls the upper ball joint. I'm not sure how much spacing they require but I'm going for 10mm spacers all round.

Simon at brickwerks as mentioned above sells all the required kit for the job. I priced up everything I want to fit mine and it was in the region of £100
Member #2236

"If it aint dripping oil there's probably none left"

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

As stated above, you need to change the rear studs for longer ones i've just done this on a mates van on Sat and it took us about three hours to do the rears and change the front's to studs. As far as i know you can't change the rears for bolts as they are pushed in from the back.
You will need a 46mm socket, best to buy 1" drive (cost me £16 for socket and breaker bar)
Scaffold pole for extra leverage.
Simon at brickwerks can provide all the nuts/studs etc as can Machine 7.
As you've found out mercs are 12mm and T3's are 14mm so you will need to drill the bolt holes out.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

REDWEDGE
80-90 Mem No: 2516

Post by REDWEDGE »

I have all the tools for the job cheersfor the info btw you have a pm mate

tobzman
80-90 Mem No: 2236

Post by tobzman »

Shepster where did you get your breaker bar & socket for that price???
I've been looking at them and the best I could do was about £20 for the bar and £10 for the socket.
Member #2236

"If it aint dripping oil there's probably none left"

monkeynut
80-90 Mem No: 4715

Post by monkeynut »

T4 bolts are fine for the front and are quite cheap