Spraying bus with 2-pack.......

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Spraying bus with 2-pack.......

Post by KarlT »

Hi All.

Well finally got my old caravelle into my cramped lock-up! Three trips to the tip & 12 ads on ebay I've finally got the old girl in! :D

Wanting to spray in 2-pack blue. Never attempted this before.

A couple of questions.

I can borrow compressor. Are these ebay spray tools good enough quality? What should I look for? What's the difference between gravity & suction fed guns?

Going to remove all windows. Seen replacement rubbers on JKampers for about £100. Are these good quality? Anyone used them? How about sky-light rubbers?

Do I have to remove all the doors? Could I get away with leaving the rear door in place?

Have got both large & small angle grinders. Can I use these for rubbing back/flatning/polishing? Or are they too fast/aggressive? Would the special fitments fit?

Can you legally drive a bus with no windows & doors?

Enough to be going on with!

:idea

VWCamperfan
80-90 Mem No: 4000

Re: Spraying bus with 2-pack.......

Post by VWCamperfan »

Use a flap disc on the grinder, it's a wheel made up of flaps of sandpaper, does a pretty good job. Use them a lot at work.

As for removing the doors, that depends on how far you want to go. Some people leave them in place and this is good for colour matching as you can blow over everything at the same time. Some remove them so the inside of the door frame etc. can be sprayed as well.

Gravity fed... The paint is held above the spray gun and gravity feeds the paint down into the spray head.
Suction fed... The paint is held below the spray gun and a syphon action from the air passing through the spray gun draws the paint up and through the spray head.

The syphon action is my preferred choice, more control over paint flow.

You can legally drive with no windows but not with no doors! (They reckon you will fall out!)
Mark.

I'm Not A Complete Idiot... Some Bits Are Missing!

1.6 Modified CT engine.

monsho
80-90 Mem No: 1750

Post by monsho »

errrr 2 pack is really dangerous stuff, you really need a air fed mask to spray it....

ventilation is essential aswell...

KarlT

Post by KarlT »

monsho wrote:errrr 2 pack is really dangerous stuff.

Yeah but also 'good' stuff! :run

bennwedge
80-90 Mem No: 3040

Post by bennwedge »

I'm painting mine with 2pack at the mo and have found it much easier to roller on the primer (as I'm in a tight space as well) it doesn't matter how it looks at that stage because it's going to be flatten down. Get some good ventilation as well because when it comes to spraying the topcoat and laquer you won't be able to see the bus for paint in the air,it really does get everywhere.

Frostbus
80-90 Mem No: 2682

Post by Frostbus »

2k requires an airfed mask as mentioned also wear latex gloves cover skin etc, isocyanates in the hardener are nasty and still present even when the paint has cured so wear a dust mask as well when sanding.
a lot of bodyshops use rollers i think it helps cut down their voc and as said primer is flattened anyway
preperation is the key but have to say 2k has brilliant buid over cellulose just the health risks that worry me
any good refinishing factors will supply the best info on safety
if you suffer from asthma forget it
honestly darling it wont cost much to fix.

KarlT

Post by KarlT »

Have had a look on WIKI but still not 100% sure on how to proceed.

B'wedge, Have you been taking photos? Have you got a list of what you've needed/been using? Idea of prices you paid? WIKI could do with an up-date if you felt so inclined! :wink:

What is etching primer? How is this different to primer?
What fillers are needed?

:?