A new engine.... df or dg?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

blowfish
80-90 Mem No: 6021

A new engine.... df or dg?

Post by blowfish »

Ive a '84, t25 caravelle needing a new engine. At the moment it has a (dead) 1.9 df in it....

Would i need another df to replace or can i bolt in a 'dg' instead with minimum fuss? what will the difference be? what would i need?

Ive been looking around for a df (for ease i guess) and its been recommended to just get a dg as their more powerful. but is it alot of pi$$ing around?

help.... im confused :?
Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river dried to a trickle, will man finally realise that we cannot eat money and reciting old proverbs makes you sound like a tw@t

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

The DF had a smaller Pict carb and inlet manifold, you'd need to get a Pierburg set-up to update it to DG. The cooling system is the same as the early DG system. You may even struggle to acquire an exchange or refurb DF.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

my mate has a dg with the df carb etc on it and it goes really well....

blowfish

Post by blowfish »

Ian Hulley wrote:The DF had a smaller Pict carb and inlet manifold, you'd need to get a Pierburg set-up to update it to DG. The cooling system is the same as the early DG system. You may even struggle to acquire an exchange or refurb DF.

Ian.

i am struggling to find a DF for sure! cheers for the info though... Danke schön!

:)
Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river dried to a trickle, will man finally realise that we cannot eat money and reciting old proverbs makes you sound like a tw@t

blowfish

Post by blowfish »

lambrettalee wrote:my mate has a dg with the df carb etc on it and it goes really well....

cool, how long has he been running it on that? no probs at all?