bit smokey

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lambrettalee

bit smokey

Post by lambrettalee »

evening, 1.9 df wbx, low miles, drives lovely and dose not smoke at all under load when driving , but when starting from cold after being stood for a day or 2 shes puffing a bit of blue smoke, im thinking along the lines of pushrod tube/s and seals or just seals? am i thinking along the right lines.... if so what sort of a job is it? , cheers ...

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

why are you think pushrod/tubes ?

i'd go for a sticky valve or too thinner oil , try giving it an oil change firstly ,good 10/40 mineral oil , blue bottle from halfords , also is it parked on the flat or down hill ?
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

parked on a slight slope currently running castrol 20/50 oil changed every 2500 miles, makes no difference if its on the flat, if it was a conventional engine i would be thinking valve stem oil seals :?

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

check see if its breather heavy , especially when hot
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

after the initial starting puff it clears and runs 110% no probs...

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

If it doesn't need much topping up of oil then I certainly wouldn't worry about it too much.

If it gets worse or starts needing a proper topping up of oil more than every 1000 miles, then start saving :wink: - I know :oops:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

it burns no oil at all between changes, have noticed the hydro tappets (1 of)is a little noisey for the 1st mile when shes been left for a few days, or gives the odd little jingle when doing short on/off journeys, is this related?, presumably the tappet is losing oil pressure....

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

lambrettalee wrote:it burns no oil at all between changes, have noticed the hydro tappets (1 of)is a little noisey for the 1st mile when shes been left for a few days, or gives the odd little jingle when doing short on/off journeys, is this related?, presumably the tappet is losing oil pressure....

This is very common on these motors and often happens if they are not used regularly. On "weekend only" vans the noisy tappets can take a few miles until they shut up. Very unlikely to be the cause of any concern.

As yours burns no oil between changes, and assuming it makes no odd noises, then I reckon you have a good motor (and I would like to buy it please :roll: !! )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

ghost123uk wrote:
lambrettalee wrote:it burns no oil at all between changes, have noticed the hydro tappets (1 of)is a little noisey for the 1st mile when shes been left for a few days, or gives the odd little jingle when doing short on/off journeys, is this related?, presumably the tappet is losing oil pressure....

This is very common on these motors and often happens if they are not used regularly. On "weekend only" vans the noisy tappets can take a few miles until they shut up. Very unlikely to be the cause of any concern.

As yours burns no oil between changes, and assuming it makes no odd noises, then I reckon you have a good motor (and I would like to buy it please :roll: !! )
Its a daily runner and covers 1300/1500 kms a month , mileage is 34000 kms (yes its right) and 1 previous owner, its a well maintained vehicle, i just find it a little odd that the tappet will suddenly have a good click after being tuned off for 20 mins or so before driving on,after starting from cold with no noise and driving for 20 miles with no noise, its bizzarre.