Tyres on 6j aloys-to use 205 70 14's 97H or my 185 14C's?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Tyres on 6j aloys-to use 205 70 14's 97H or my 185 14C's?

Post by waltraud »

1983 1.9dg westy joker pop-topHave ben looking around at all sorts of tyre sites and i am aware that there is a hotly debated issue about whats best. I have two sets of tyres, one 205-70-14 97R/Q?? load rating- seems adequate load BUT not 8 or even 6ply and non-commercial. If i ran flat or had a blow out on a heavy t25 presumably it would be a different experience with these than with standard 185 14 commercial rated tyres, say Hankook RA08 or Continental Vancos? I also wondered if there as really any point having wider profile on such a relatively slow and not-agile vehicle. What do u think.

thanks. Tim
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

205/70R14 were a factory option and a load index rating of 97 is more than adequate for a fully loaded camper/velle etc.
They look better, offer improved road holding and are just as safe as the standard 185/R14C's, win win all the way me thinks.
I have the standard 185R14C's on my Carat wheels but if I had the choice the 185's would be ditched every time in favour of the 205's.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

Tim, if you do some more research via Dr Baxters web pages you may find T25/T3 Factory Caravelles fitted with alloy wheels used the 205/70x14 tyre profile, these could also be found fitted to 70s/80s prestige saloon cars of a similar unladen weight.
My guess is these were also fitted to caravelles to give a more civilised ride during use, rather than the commercial lumpy ride with an 8 ply 185 x14 van tyre.

I belive the 8 ply tyre has a stiffer sidewall which I'm told aids stabillity in windy conditions of a standard ride height vehicle,,,,,,But some caravelles lowered by 30mm from the factory fitted with alloy wheels also use the 205s and don't appear to suffer with any stability problems what so ever.

If you can put up with the standard ride height and tyre profile you should be a happy man,,,,if you are wondering 'What if' then you should lower your vehicle (IMHO no more than 30 mm), fit your alloys with the 70 aspect ratio ,,,,job done.

Power steering makes the job a little easier when in those tight spots,,,

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,,,,,
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

thanks both, i'm still wondering about how differently a standard R14 tyre responds in a blowout compared to an 8ply C rated? I recall a blowout once in a 2ltr late bay with 185 14C, handled remarkably well!
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

One of the main benefits from a safety perspective between tubed and tubless tyres is that modern tubeless tyres don't tend to 'blow out' as you put it.
They deflate in a more controlled manner and are much safer as a consequence.
I don't suppose you would notice any difference between the two tyres you mentioned if you were to get a puncture whilst driving.
Both are tubless and neither should 'blow out' in the traditional sense of the term.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx