Gear selection woes... found the prob but need advice

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

iain
80-90 Mem No: 3505

Gear selection woes... found the prob but need advice

Post by iain »

1.6 turbo diesel 5 speed box

I have just found out why i cannot shift gears.. the selector lever at the rear of the gear link has lost the rear top 8mm, thus the linkage gets caught when shifting. On my Bentley manual there seems to be a tension pin that holds it in place ... question... how do i remove the pin? Do i need to take the whole shift bar off?

secondly i know just Kampers has them in stock (anyone know any where else?) and as it is a diesel i need the deeper one but can i use a jubilee clip as a temporary meaure to maintain the wall so i can keep driving the van until it arrives?

Also what would have caused this? just repetitive pushing and pulling at the agricultral gear box? Or lack of adjusting/maintenance?

Any help would be appreciated

Iain

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

You need to remove the rear half of the shaft by undoing the two bolts on the gearbox mount and the spider joint under the van, then the pin is just pushed out with a drift (dont use phillips screwdriver as this will just split the pin wider.
Remember to scribe the shaft near the spider joint so adjustment after fitting is none or less.
Also when refitting, the gearbox mount goes on the front of the gearbox.
Nows a good time to renew all the bushes and gaitors whilst your at it if you can be bothered.
I would definitely get a new pin as mine was pretty worn on one end, although I just turned it upside down. :oops:
I cant say about using it though I would advise against but hey....

You can still get most of the parts from any VW dealer.
Go to vagcat.com and register, it only takes a couple of minutes, look up typ2 and search it.
It will give you a good idea of how it all goes together and you can also phone VW with the part Numbers. :wink: