What should oil pressure be bar wise please?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

4gearwonder
80-90 Mem No: 4604

What should oil pressure be bar wise please?

Post by 4gearwonder »

Hi all

I know someone did ask this once - as I did come across this on a 'search' before, but not having much luck finding it again tonight unfortunately! - but does anyone know what the ideal -ish! bar pressure should be?

Got a 1y, 1.9 diesel in a 85 Bilbo van, and just installed a 5 bar VDO gauge and got a reading of about 3.5 bar on cold start up -didn't get chance to see what it was when at full temp though! When at optimum temp?, seemed to remember someone saying here that you might expect it to be about 1 bar?

Anyone got any ideas please if this all sounds about right? :roll:

Thanks as usual for any replies

Cheers.

Brian

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

But I am sure the oil weight is incorrect.. I would NOT use a 10w30 and I am pretty sure Si wouldnt either... (and 10w30 isnt available in an SF grade) min would be a 15w40 SG unless very cold climates (not UK)

4gearwonder
80-90 Mem No: 4604

Post by 4gearwonder »

Thanks for the reply guys. Hope haven't opened up a can of worms there with the oil ratio thang! Engine is actually from a Seat Toledo and I was told that 10/40 oil should be used by a vw garage for this one.

Had a quick look at the spec though - thanks - but couldn't really see in laymans terms about bar pressure?

So if anyone has any ideas still what roughly the bar reading at cold start up and then at full working temp should be, then that would still be appreciated.

Thanks all.

SplendiferousII
80-90 Mem No: 2893

Post by SplendiferousII »

The bottom line when it comes to engine oil is as follows. Use the thinnest oil you can get away with yet still maintain a good oil pressure.

So if your getting about 2 bar when its warm with a 10W 30 that's ok if not then use a 10W 40.

Thicker oil means more friction (shear friction of the oil) and less power.

But in realistic terms, if the engine is good use 10W 30 if a bit tired opt for the thicker 10W 40.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

OK, its a TD I didnt see that :oops: , but Si's page was for a DG1.9 waterboxer so theats not right to be looking at either.... not for the TD.. that oil spec is still wrong as far as I am concerned for the wbx.. VW didnt recomend 15w40 for no reason... in a NEW one...

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

5/40 or 10/40 is whats recomended, oil pressure should be atleast 2 bar at 2000rpm at 80 degrees.