Bike Rack for 4 bikes?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andyk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Bike Rack for 4 bikes?

Post by andyk »

hi everyone

Anyone found a suitable rack for transporting 4 bikes (2 adults, 2 kids) on the back of a T3? Also, given that ours is a beautiful normally aspirated 1600 diesel 1983 vintage, what on earth will this do to the performance??!!

thanks!

bobbabawbag
80-90 Mem No: 2078

Post by bobbabawbag »

got a fiamma 3 bike rack with my westy and squeeze 2 adult and 2 kids bikes, they do make a 4 bike one also.
bob

matt
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by matt »

dont think you cud make the performance worse

paulchin (???) do a 4 bike one, a westy option i think ??
:)

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

They do Matt and no I don't know how to spell it either. However I don't think it will be a money saving option as a scabby one seems to cost as much as a good nick fiamma.

Andy, you can start with a second hand 2 or three rail Fiamma rack (can be found on here, on ebay or at shows and such) and then expand with extra rails and bits from Fiamma. As for performance issues you could get four tow ropes and use the bikes as tugs on long climbs.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

redstar
80-90 Mem No: 2341

Post by redstar »

Thule are pretty good, i have a 3 bike one, but you could squeeze another in... towbar mounted mind... prob about 100 quid new from the right place.. there is a site i think its car roof racks or something... :shock: they are in portsmouth. seem to be the right money moslley...happy biking :cry:
No 2341 ...bad gipsy owner.....
Wanted: LHD choc cab carpet

davealexjones

4 bike rack

Post by davealexjones »

I used to have a fiamma 2 bike which I squeezed 4 onto by putting a board between the two tyre channels and strapping the last one onto the third bike however it was stolen last year so I replaced it with an avenir 4 bike rack which we used for a trip to Annecy in the summer. I added a couple of extra straps and it was brilliant. Held all the bikes apart without loads of padding and it only cost £60.

belle in progress
80-90 Mem No: 2205

Post by belle in progress »

new jk catalog has a couple of racks, good price on fiamma but prefer to tow ball kind
"if it bends its funny" "if it breaks its even funnier" M&C 1994

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Bought a lovely tow bar mounted one for £50 off e-bay - had been used once...

...but don't forget it is there when you are parking - it don't half stick out a bit!!!! Also, tow bar mounted means you can't open boot without removing at least the inner 2 cycles. But as they lift on/off easily, not too much hassle.

Emma

davealexjones

Avenir Bike Rack Update

Post by davealexjones »

I need to revise the advice I gave on carrying 4 bikes on a T25. I used the avenir 4 bike rack to carry 4 bike to Annecy and back last year however when I tried to do the same but with my MTB instead of my lightweight road bike and my daughter's heavier new bike the rack started to bend on a journey to Devon and I had to bring one bike inside.

However I have found a solution and I came back with all 4 bikes on the back no problem. The trick is to put one bike on the inside of the rack. This is a little tricky and involves a little dismatling first. If you've bought the rack and want more details then contact me and i'll explain further.

Cheers

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

if you go for the fiamma dont forget we get discount at www.agentfiamma.co.uk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

cornishjock

Post by cornishjock »

:? sorry if this is a stupid question..but does the Fiamma T25 bike rack actually fix permanently on to the tailgate ?? or to put it another way, when it's empty , what's to stop someone nicking it (despite the bad karma of such an act !) Just got paid me overtime and feel a summer treat for the van coming on :lol:
Cheers
CJ

Horza

Post by Horza »

Nut and bolted via clamps to the tailgate so the answer is nothing much is stopping them taking it as long as they have an appropriate spanner and some time (mine has long long bolts and nylock nuts so it's a spanner all the way off). But if they brought a spanner then they are probably determined enough to take it whatever you do!!
Euan

cornishjock

Post by cornishjock »

good man..thanks for the reply...as you say if they want it, they'll get it no matter what...ie my stereo last year from Addenbrookes hospital :evil:

Where you from in Scotland originally ? We met a really fab couple in Aldeburgh a few weeks ago...the guys name was John - like me, VW lover - like me, Veggie - like me, loves Laphroaig - like me and to top it all, he was born in Arbroath - like me :shock:

Horza

Post by Horza »

Spooky!!

But I was born in Kilmarnock, raised on Mull and was most recently unemployed and unemployable in Glasgow before following the jobs south.

Been here 9 years now, very very scary thought!!
Euan