Engine Rebuild

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

James.Grundey
80-90 Mem No: 2346

Engine Rebuild

Post by James.Grundey »

Hi All

When i bout my current van it had a leak on the waterjacket. As a result it was time to strip both heads. While im at it i might as well strip the top end right down and replace all the gaskets etc.

First liners out, and clip, but i cant get the gudgen pin out. It will turn in its hole, but i can pull it out.

Any suggestions, or is there a tool on the market to do it. Obviously its something VW had a tool for, but I NEED ONE!!!!!!

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers All, JAMES

stuckin88
80-90 Mem No: 134

Post by stuckin88 »

lookin at Haynes--withdraw gudgeon pin using vw tool 3091---but unless pin is tight a stout piece of wire with a hook bent on the end can be used---
Billy...Defected to white box but still lurking.

James.Grundey
80-90 Mem No: 2346

Post by James.Grundey »

The pin is loose, i can spin it within the hollow, but it wont pull out. Ive tried wire to pull it out along with verious other items, but theres a lot of resistance.
Where can i get the tool from? Any ideas of costs?
Cheers, JAMES

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

The circlip makes a little ridge to the groove such that the pin won't withdraw.
VW had a special tool for reaming the ridge off, but it's no longer available.
I don't know how the engine rebuilders get around this problem but it seems to be fairly common.

skell
80-90 Mem No: 1297

Post by skell »

this is a tip I got off someone on here but I forget who (may have been the always helpful Steve Shaw) so apologies for not crediting you!

get a bit of m8 or m10 stud iron, find a stought washer with a diameter bigger than the internal diameter of the gudgeon pin, but smaller than its extrenal diameter, plus some washer bigger than the hole in the water jacket. thread stud iron through hole water jacket, through gudgeon, then fit washers each end, then put a nut on each end and tighten until the gudgeon starts budging. you might want to wedge a bit of wood between the piston and the water jacket to stop the piston/rod getting pulled to the side, oh yeah make sure you've got the circlips out before you start.
skell
1984 AAZ twin slider 'velle

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Definatly support the piston.... or you will bend the rod.. easy to do..

Might be worth running a little deburring tool around the circlip groove.. stuff clean paper towel arounf the piston so as not to drop the shavings in the engine.. oh and take your time, make sure the barrell and head gasket surfaces are clean and lap the barrel to the head with a small amount of grinding paste..

Check the tips of your valves and the "adjusting" screws these can be very worn...