Caravelle cutting out

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chano

Caravelle cutting out

Post by chano »

I have a 15 year old VW Caravelle (2.1 petrol LHD)

Whilst driving on the motorway this morning, the engine cut-out.
No pre- coughing or spluttering, the engine just cut out. The same thing has happened three times in the past two weeks. If i try to start it immediately it won't start - plenty of life in the battery, engine turns over but just won't start. If i leave it for a couple of hours it starts first time.

If i've been lucky enough to stop on a hill (this morning) i can bump start it straight away.

The local mechanic here in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, says he can only locate the problem if i bring the van to him when it won't start. Not easy!

Could it be the fuel pump?

Any advice will be gratefully received

Alan

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, it could, checkit and the wiring and earthing...

Check the large cannister fuel filter (behind the left hand rear spring hanger on syncros, not sure on yours), may well need changing by now (look for recent thread on this one, like how to get access to it, needs to be fitted correct way a round in flow)

Muck in tank (water)...

and any number of electrical faults - does it always start OK at beginning of day?

Can you bring it over to Tenerife on 3rd Feb, so I can tell you in person I can't find the problem ?

But there are others here who could give you better ideas... the fact is until you quickly dtermine whether its a lack of fuel or sparks yourself (or a mechanic you're basically guessing, as are we!
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

chano

Post by chano »

Thanks for the advice.

Never had a problem starting it in the morning.

I've just returned from a trip to Tenerife. Planning another trip soon, if i can make it in February i will let you know.

Thanks for the offer.

Alan

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

cutting out

Post by kevtherev »

Happend to my neighbour on the motorway, AA man diagnosed fuel pump, he said it would get worse and eventually not start at all...we changed it and bingo everythings fine again.

J.K. will post it to you
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)