Plug life (and jumping)

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stevewright76
80-90 Mem No: 2310

Plug life (and jumping)

Post by stevewright76 »

Keep reading on here that LPG vans get through plugs 'pretty quick' - anyone got a figure/idea of what that equates to?

Had mine serviced (dis/rotor/air filters replaced), but now a bit jumpy. Have just tweaked flow(?) valve (i.e. the big brass bolt) and hope that'll sort it...

Have had single-point champion iridium plugs in for just over a year/about 5k miles... Hoping they're still OK as *not* cheap... But have some standard single tips for replacing when needed.

So any strong views on how often to change or key symptoms that indicate a change is needed?

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

didn't know Champion made an iridium plug, I was advised by someone who rebuilds engines for a living that N.G.K. are without doubt the most reliable brand to go for, so i use their single point iridium plugs in my L.P.G'd van, a few gas websites also recommend these plugs. a mate had problems with a misfire which was cured by replacing his champion plugs, with champion again, the misfire came back after 2 months, turned out to be plugs again. changed to N.G.K.'s and fine since. [year or so ago]
iridiums claim to have a longer service life than 'normal' single points too,
haynes reckons renew plugs every 10,000 miles or 12 months, so they should at least be good for that. :wink:

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Never had a problem using Bosch plugs, never heard of plugs not lasting either.. and my velle has been of gas for 6 years.. and done 100k miles +.. last set of plugs were in for 20k+... BUT, the ignition system MUST be in good condition, leads are the normal culprit.. use good leads...

Service? what did they adjust? could be any factor if they have reset timing or anything.. would be worth asking/checking..

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Always check and clean mine with the oil change, every 3 or 4,000 miles and I re-check the gap. There never seems anything but a very light grey dusting on them.

It doesn't hurt to replace the leads annually,depending on mileage obviously.

PS Bosch single points are £1.25 each from GSF ... they appear to work pretty well in our bus !

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

What leads do peeps recommend?

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

horace83 wrote:What leads do peeps recommend?

GSF and ask for MkIV Golf :wink:

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Is that sarcasm or being serious (wink is confusing me) :?

If it's sarcasm I was only asking because someone said use good leads and I was just enquiring if any leads are better than the one's GSF list for T25's

If it's not sarcasm but a serious tip then which MK IV Golf lead set as the GSF website lists 5 different sets.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

horace83 wrote:Is that sarcasm or being serious (wink is confusing me) :?

If it's sarcasm I was only asking because someone said use good leads and I was just enquiring if any leads are better than the one's GSF list for T25's

If it's not sarcasm but a serious tip then which MK IV Golf lead set as the GSF website lists 5 different sets.

GSF in Derby have a very nice man who pointed out that the set of leads they sell for mkIV Golfs are the same as T25 but £12 instead of £20. Hence the :wink:

Only trying to help friend.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

i got a set of T25 leads from GSF [the 20 quid ones] a while ago for mine, they work fine, but they were in a plain plastic bag with no makers name, which isn't usually a good sign. if a firm isn't willing to admit to making something by putting their name on it, you doubt the quality, or i do anyway being an untrusting type! they may prove me wrong in the long run tho. and genuine are probably pricey.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

wasserleaker wrote:i got a set of T25 leads from GSF [the 20 quid ones] a while ago for mine, they work fine, but they were in a plain plastic bag with no makers name, which isn't usually a good sign.

Look at Tesco's stuff ... it doesn't say who made it ... remember the recalls . "meat pies from Tescos,M&S,Sainsburys etc etc". The £12 ones were in plain bag too, there's only so many manufacturers .

I'm trying to help you and save you money. You may believe me,suit yourself ... if not fine ... I'll still sit and talk shyte with you ... but the plug leads will be the same.And I know where my next set will come from.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Ian Hulley wrote:
horace83 wrote:Is that sarcasm or being serious (wink is confusing me) :?

GSF in Derby have a very nice man who pointed out that the set of leads they sell for mkIV Golfs are the same as T25 but £12 instead of £20. Hence the :wink:

Only trying to help friend.

Ian.
Cheers Ian. The wink threw me off somewhat :wink:

Which leads though? 5 Golf Mk4 sets listed on gsf website. Non are £12

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Part number?

Looks like GSF will have a run on em!!!! :lol:

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

not doubting you, Ian mate, just that the GSF in nottm. that i went to didnt mention the cheaper option or i would have gone fore that, and all i was getting at was that past experience of 'no brand' goods, whether car related or otherwise has been a bit hit or miss. jeez, has everyone had a touchy pill this week. :roll:

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

toomanytoys wrote:Part number?

Looks like GSF will have a run on em!!!! :lol:

I'll look out the receipt .....

GSF - 92621E Ign. Lead Set £12.70 + vat 24/02/07

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Ivor Brownun
80-90 Mem No: 732

Post by Ivor Brownun »

Top tip for the leads unfortunately I just bought the GSF 26 quid ones :twisted: less me club discouint of course.
Member 732,