New engine needed

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Spailpin Fanach
80-90 Mem No: 17276

New engine needed

Post by Spailpin Fanach »

I haven't been on here for several months since my beloved 1989 VW 1.6TD JX T25 Westfalia mistook in T in T25 for Tea, boiled and cracked the cylinder box and head. Not the craic I was hoping to have. 

This leaves me with an expensive tin box.

I was originally going to sell but would lose a lot of money that way. Then i thought I would fix her up the cheapest possible way and then sell her. Now that the sun has started to shine again, I decided to hang on to her and have an engine swap. I certainly don't want the old JX engine and looking for something that has a bit of oomph and can charge up hills. 

Now, this is where I have a problem. 

I asked several times over the past couple of years for suggestions about engine conversions and got a lot of really helpful and useful advice. Unfortunately I don't have the mechanical experience or ability to judge which is best. The only way I can list my options is by price.

I'd look at the cheapest price and then work my way down that list to the most expensive one and then see what I could afford. I think my favorite would be a Subaru EJ25 but that is very pricey.

What do you think would be a good upgrade for JX?

Also, could anybody recommend an installer anywhere here in Ireland or over in the UK who could supply and fit a conversion engine. Also appreciated would be some indication of how much this might cost.

Thanks for reading this
1989 LHD VW T3/Type25 (1999 1.9 GTi AGG Petrol conversion 2024) Westfalia California poptop, 5-speed. 

There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: New engine needed

Post by Aidan »

Contact Paul at Vantopia in Ireland, he may be able to help, either directly or indirectly, vantopia.ie he is on here but is busy so might not see your post for a while

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

If you have a JX then the easiest route would be to put an AGG 2.0 petrol from a Golf Mk3, its a direct swap and is now a very popular conversion.

Spailpin Fanach

Aidan wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 08:44 Contact Paul at Vantopia in Ireland, he may be able to help, either directly or indirectly, vantopia.ie he is on here but is busy so might not see your post for a while

Thanks, I'll do that. He's on an Irish Facebook vw group too. 
1989 LHD VW T3/Type25 (1999 1.9 GTi AGG Petrol conversion 2024) Westfalia California poptop, 5-speed. 

Spailpin Fanach

silverbullet wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 12:32 If you have a JX then the easiest route would be to put an AGG 2.0 petrol from a Golf Mk3, its a direct swap and is now a very popular conversion.

Thanks for this. 

Would the existing gearbox work? It's the 1989 5 speed one. 

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

yep gearing would be fine for the AGG