Brake Caliper Help Please

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pbar
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brake Caliper Help Please

Post by pbar »

Hi, please would someone be able to take a pic of a caliper if you have one to hand, specifically down the entry hole where the pipe goes. Either an original one or a new one. I've had to drill mine as it was seized, but when fitted back on I can stop it from leaking so I'm worried that I may have overdrilled it. But I don't have another to compare and I can't find a pic online. Thanks very much.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Brake Caliper Help Please

Post by R0B »

Well, if you have drilled it and it's leaking then I think you should consider replacing it.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

pbar

Post by pbar »

R0B wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 14:07
Well, if you have drilled it and it's leaking then I think you should consider replacing it.

Hi Rob, as I had to cut the pipe off and re-flare it, I'm not sure if it's my poor pipe flaring that's causing the leak, which is why I'd like to compare my caliper with another.

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Take/post it too a calliper refurb place. Thew will drill (properly) and coil it provided you haven gone too far.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

pbar

Post by pbar »

mioba wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 19:15 Take/post it too a calliper refurb place. Thew will drill (properly) and coil it provided you haven gone too far.

Thanks, there may be nothing wrong with it, I'd just like a picture of an existing one to compare.

pbar

Post by pbar »

Just thought I'd conclude this as I don't like leaving threads open ended, in case it is of use to someone in the future. I was able to get a pic from a friend with a similar caliper and I was happy to think that I did mess it up a little when drilling it out, so decided to replace it. £85 from Schofield which I thought wasn't a bad price, and that's the direct price for the part too, none of this sending your old one back to maybe get a partial refund type malarky.

In brief, I cut the pipe as close to the caliper as I could, replaced the caliper and put a new flare on the pipe in situ using a DIN flare tool from Frost Auto, which worked incredibly well, perfect flares every time. It is a solution which seems to work well if you find you need to remove the caliper but have a seized/rounded off fitting.

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Thanks for the heads up.

Plusgas, heat, self locking pliers and patience with anything seized.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love