Upper Balljoint Nut

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pbar
80-90 Mem No: 0

Upper Balljoint Nut

Post by pbar »

Hi. I am trying to undo the upper balljoint nut, which connects to the steering knuckle (to release the brake hose clamp so I can change the front discs), and I managed to free the nut and undo it half way but now the balljoint just keeps spinning.

Any tips on how to hold it in place please? Thanks.

T25 1.9DG 1985

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Upper Balljoint Nut

Post by ZsZ »

An adjustable or C clamp can help but can be tricky.
Squeeze the knuckle to the control arm somehow and then turn the nut.
Tightening the nut first and cleaning the thread that sticks out might ease turning it loose all way.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Use a jack under the lower arm to jack up and compress ball joint back in. This may be enough to grip it and allow you to tighten nut up then really clean threads as above.

If that doesn't work, angle grinder with a thin blade and cut a slot in the top of ball joint to allow you to put a screwdriver or similar in to hold whilst undoing nut.

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

pbar

Post by pbar »

ZsZ wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 19:27 An adjustable or C clamp can help but can be tricky.
Tightening the nut first and cleaning the thread that sticks out might ease turning it loose all way.

I doubt I'd get a clamp on there, but I have tried jacking up the strut to compress the joint, as that's a technique which can often work on other cars, but it doesn't make a difference on these. I can't tighten the nut, as it is 'stuck' midway, therefore the joint just turns either way. But thanks anyway.

pbar

Post by pbar »

mm289 wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 20:14 Use a jack under the lower arm to jack up and compress ball joint back in. This may be enough to grip it and allow you to tighten nut up then really clean threads as above.

If that doesn't work, angle grinder with a thin blade and cut a slot in the top of ball joint to allow you to put a screwdriver or similar in to hold whilst undoing nut.

Cheers,

MM

I have tried the jack method, it doesn't work on these though, makes no difference. The visible top of the balljoint doesn't twist, besides I don't wish to wreck it as that will remain. Thanks anyway.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

why not undo the two allen head bolts and remove ball joint from wishbone, then when you've done what you need to you and reassembled you will be able to drop the axle on it's wheel and have enough friction due to weight to do the nut back up again

pbar

Post by pbar »

Aidan wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 21:14 why not undo the two allen head bolts and remove ball joint from wishbone, then when you've done what you need to you and reassembled you will be able to drop the axle on it's wheel and have enough friction due to weight to do the nut back up again

Thanks, but that wouldn't work. I need the nut off to remove the brake line bracket. Besides, trying to undo those two rusted up siezed fixings would prove an equally 'fun' challenge!

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Ahhh the joys of working on T25 and old seized nuts.
Days before any job plus gas is your friend.

Clean up the area first with a small wire brush.

There is normally a allen socket in the top to hold the bolt to prevent the joint spinning.

Failing that - time to get the grinder out.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

pbar wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 21:01
ZsZ wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 19:27 An adjustable or C clamp can help but can be tricky.

I doubt I'd get a clamp on there, but I have tried jacking up the strut to compress the joint, as that's a technique which can often work on other cars, but it doesn't make a difference on these. I can't tighten the nut, as it is 'stuck' midway, therefore the joint just turns either way. But thanks anyway.

As it's turning either way, time to cut it off and replace it. They only cost around 12 quid each. Not worth fannying about with imo.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

maxstu wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 21:48
pbar wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 21:01

As it's turning either way, time to cut it off and replace it. They only cost around 12 quid each. Not worth fannying about with imo.

Exactly.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Thank you :D
MaxStu

pbar

Post by pbar »

maxstu wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 21:48

No, as said earlier, the fixings to the wishbone would also be corroded and siezed by the look of it which would bring other issues, I'd end up with a new van eventually! £12 is still £12, if you found it in the street you would pick it up wouldn't you and think it's your lucky week. Besides, I don't tend to like this kind of throwaway world mindset, I'd rather find a way to undo one nut rather than just give in.

pbar

Post by pbar »

It's common on fittings like this to have a six sided (allen key type) recess end-on of the bolt, to aid holding it whilst tightening. I've had a look and these seem to have it too (surprised no one knew about that), so I'm hoping that will allow enough purchase and hold for me as I work the nut loose.

Have a couple of other ideas too, will report back when I get it undone just in case it helps someone else at some point. Thanks again for the replies.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Never had the upper two bolts seized to a point they cannot be released with using sufficient lubricant, bit of heat and a good fitting allen socket or whatever neccessary tool.
As you wish.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

pbar wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 22:37 It's common on fittings like this to have a six sided (allen key type) recess end-on of the bolt, to aid holding it whilst tightening. I've had a look and these seem to have it too (surprised no one knew about that), so I'm hoping that will allow enough purchase and hold for me as I work the nut loose.

Try posting photos next time. :)
MaxStu