Anybody know what this is ?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lexussoarer1996

Anybody know what this is ?

Post by lexussoarer1996 »

Does anybody know what this is ( the black sphere shaped object ) and would there be any problems moving it.Image

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Anybody know what this is ?

Post by Stesaw »

Vaccum reservoir generally on syncros, usually on the left chassis rail.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

lexussoarer1996

The van its on is an SA 2.5i , would this be to operate the central locking ?

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

lexussoarer1996 wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 13:56 The van its on is an SA 2.5i , would this be to operate the central locking ?

No idea what its used to operate - can't understand why it'd be anything to do with the central locking system - is it connected?

Trace the lines to see what its connected to
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

vacuum operated central locking was a thing back in 80's, Audi, VW used them and the Mercedes vacuum unit in the doors was made by VDO and is just like (but not identical to) the Syncro difflock actuator, the grey/black ones that are still available for the merc central locking is all that's now available for the Syncro as it looks like VDO won't ever remake them
There is some carry over/cross over with the Mk1 Golf (City in SA ?) and the SA built T3 so maybe it was a thing either from factory or as a work around when electric stuff failed/became silly money/rocking horse poooh

it may have something to do with the heater controls though as I think late SA van operated differently to our wire operated set up

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Found it in the heater part of the parts catalogue for the SA van

lexussoarer1996

Hi Aidan , many years ago i had an old Audi coupe that had vacuum operated central locking , as i havnt got any diff locks i thought it might have been for that.

Its funny that you mention the heating system as its not operating correctly giving out very little heat , perhaps something is wrong with the vacuum system, some research needed into how the heating operates i guess.

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

I did download the SA bus manual once upon a time from erwin, but that was before my PC died in 2017 so I may no longer have the data, but recently I have found quite a bit of Elsawin online without a paywall. I don't have a login for erwin but knew someone who had and he paid for a couple of hours download time for me so I could get the T4/T5 gearbox manuals to do some work for him, I grabbed everything else I could see that might be useful while I was at it. it may be on one of the old laptops.

Ian Silverbullet was fairly familiar with the SA heater system he should be able to help

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Vacuum reservoir on 2wd ZA big window buses is indeed for one of the heater actuators, required because of the repurposed Audi 80/90 heater controls.
It is not the same as the syncro part because it is bulkhead mounted with a threaded spigot and a backnut, allowing the vaccum hoses to be inside the cabin.
Why can't I forget this stuff?

lexussoarer1996

Hi silverbullet , do you know what the vacuum operates in the heating system , i am just interested how it works , my heating has a poor heat output but i think it could be a blocked matrix either internally or externally ( due to the orange dust that seems to be everywhere ) ,  

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

If you look up behind the glovebox, to the left side of the heater, you will see a small vacuum actuator. I think its for the footwell heating, should be obvious when you rotate the control and you whill heat a breif "schlup" noise as the flap is opened or closed (be gentle as the cables can jam, causing the Audi controls to skip a few teeth and then its dash out job to put it right)
I tackled it on my 2.6i Microbus topic, the bus is now gone so this is all from memory.

lexussoarer1996

If you look up behind the glovebox, to the left side of the heater, you will see a small vacuum actuator. I think its for the footwell heating, should be obvious when you rotate the control and you whill heat a breif "schlup" noise as the flap is opened or closed (be gentle as the cables can jam, causing the Audi controls to skip a few teeth and then its dash out job to put it right)
I tackled it on my 2.6i Microbus topic, the bus is now gone so this is all from memory.
i have the dash and heater box out now as the heating was poor and the motor was making a few noises , new blower motor and matrix ready to go in.

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

So you have figured out how it all works, maybe post up some pics and info to help next person with a SA van

lexussoarer1996

Hi Aidan , not taken many pics yet but could do as everything is still out , there is an extra set of flaps in the heater box and the spindle for these goes through the blower motor , meaning the blower motor wouldn't come out until this was removed also the replacement motor didn't have the required holes and needed drilling . Waiting for some foam off Ebay as the kit didn't have enough to do the extra set of flaps. Pic of the old blower motor.Image

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Err...that doesn't look right at all. No rod should pass through the fan housing! More pics and we will work out whats been botched.

Unless its some sort of home-brewed recirc mod but my 1995 had no such arrangement. I simply seperated the heater box galves to swap the blown fan motor.