Earthing problems I think?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

69gp225
80-90 Mem No: 0

Earthing problems I think?

Post by 69gp225 »

Hello,

I Replaced my battery a few days ago and hadn’t started my camper for about five months. Connect the new battery and the negative lead going to the battery got very hot. Reading forums online it said to replace the negative battery lead that grounds to the battery box. So I did and purchased a new one I also purchased a new Earth wire from gearbox to Chassis.
I cleaned the terminals and any residue rust but I could not get the camper started. What I didn’t mention is the Camper prior to the old battery dying it cranked well but didn’t turn over. But no I don’t even have the luxury of the bus turning over. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try?
I think I’m going to reinstall the negative earth lead and see if it cranks?

One thing I didn’t notice is the new Negative lead going to the battery is silver wire with a black plastic heatproof sheath but the original is a thick copper lead, not sure if this makes any difference to earthing the van.
Can anyone help, thanks

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Earthing problems I think?

Post by AngeloEvs »

Did you replace the negative lead with one that is similar in terms of thickness? The negative should be of a gauge suitable for the job and the cable itself should not be getting hot. Also, might be worth checking the main cable connection to the starter motor.

Is this a Petrol or Diesel Model? If petrol, check fuel is being delivered to the carb. If fuel is being delivered then after cranking remove a plug and see if it is dry or shows petrol is getting to the cylinders. Some recommend pouring a small amount of fuel into the carb or spray a bit of ‘easy start’ .

I would use jump leads and connect to another vehicle with its engine running, this will provide you with a constant current/voltage and ease the load on the vans battery. Also, when starting depress the clutch pedal to disengage the gearbox from the engine.

If it still fails to start up it may be a fault in the ignition circuit.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

69gp225

Post by 69gp225 »

Hey thanks for the reply. I tried putting fuel in the throat of the carb. Started to catch but didn’t. I’ve always had to do this if sitting for a while. Going to replace the fuel filter under the van. Looks a little nessy. I’m sure I smelt a little burning from the rear of the van. I’m wondering if the starter solenoid has burnt out?

Is it easy to remove the starter?

I can’t get under the van. It’s an 84 carravelle but may be an 87 1.9 DG ENGINE

Thanks

69gp225

Post by 69gp225 »

How easy is it to remove a starter motor and can it be achieved without jacking it up ?

How many bolts have to be removed?

Thanks

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

It can be got at from inside the van, possibly lay on your stomach - feet towards the front of the van and face looking down over the engine.

It depends on what you have over your engine hatch.
And then the routing of fuel lines and accerator cable as they enter the engine bay.

The starter is bolted to the bell-housing with two bolts.
Bolt heads on the gearbox side (away from the engine).

It is tricky and mostly done by feel, but doable.

The obvious thing is to disconnect the battery first, otherwise you may end with a curly perm. :shock:
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

69gp225

Post by 69gp225 »

Hey thanks buddy

I can’t think of anything else it could be. I have nothing on they key now. It turned previously but did smell burning. And with the negative battery cable very hot I read the solenoid is probably fried.

Will check that first. Thanks for the help

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

Have you checked the ignition switch first.
They are more prone to burning out than the starter motor side of things.

Worth checking out the ignition switch first as it is easier to get at.
Easier on your back - :lol:
And cheaper, parts wise.

69gp225

Post by 69gp225 »

Thanks buddy, how do I tell if worn. Do I just look for burning evidence?

Thanks Lee

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

Thinking totally randomly here.

I have never heard of the battery negative wire getting hot.

It is only a short fat wite wire.
Straight from the negative terminal to the bodywork underneath the seat.

Then there is the 6mm red wire frim battery positive, and on my van a very fat (32mm??) cable from the battery positive to the starter 8mm connector bolt.

One way to test the starter solenoid is to use a very sturdy jump lead and connect it between the solenoid terminal where the red/black wire attaches and the 8mm bolt that the main fat starter cable attaches.

As soon as you touch both contacts, the starter should try to crank.

Two points of warning.
1 - Do not touch any bodywork or other part on the van with the jump lead as it will cause a lot of sparking, or worse...
2 - Be prepared for a brown trouser moment if the starter suddenly clicks and whirrs loudly.
Last edited by Robsey on 04 Sep 2022, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

As for the ignition switch - the damage will probably be inside where the contacts will have burnt and pitted.

So you could unplug the switch connector and then probe the pins of the switch (not the connector).

To visually check the switch...
the only way to know is to remove it from the ignition barrel (one small philips head screw), and put a test meter (ohm-meter) across the pins in each key position.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a palaver dismantling the top of the steering column switches to extract the ignition barrel, to then remove the ignition switch.

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

You've definitely got the terminals on the correct way round?

69gp225

Post by 69gp225 »

Hello,

I never touched the starter. It’s as it was. I haven’t tampered with the electrics except for the earths on the battery behind the seat and the gearbox. Going to test the starter tomorrow to see what’s the score. Then plan to check the ignition if no joy!

Thanks all for help

69gp225

Post by 69gp225 »

And yes the battery terminals are correct hahahaha

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

69gp225 wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 17:38 And yes the battery terminals are correct hahahaha

It is something we all ask, because sometimes it is the silliest things that trip us up.
Clearly no slur on abilities especially when manufacturers put black sleeving on a red battery positive cable.
I have seen it on a few cars...
Mainly Vauxhalls and VWs.

If it is the starter. I suspect it will be the soldered connection on the side of the motor body.
They can corrode heavily and cause total failure.

The crazy bit is the earth strap / negative battery cable getting hot. That defies all logic. Especially in my simple little mind.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

FYI - I think ( from memory ) one of the starter bolts goes right through and has a nut on the other side. You need a spanner on that end too.
I swapped my starter without jacking the van, combo of above led on the floor.

If I am reading this right, the van used to turn over but not fire, and now it doesn't even turn over?

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.