Carb issue??

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carb issue??

Post by mike9009 »

Not sure if this is an issue or not....and I just need to stop worrying

I have a 2.0L CU engine with twin Weber carbs (ICT34, from memory). It runs really well and starts pretty well too, despite no chokes.

I am not an expert with carbs, or even a beginner, but will give things a go.

When running and cruising down a hill in gear with no throttle, there are little, regular back fires. Barely noticeable but there. Is this a fast idle issue or mixture issue? And if so, would you adjust out? And if so, would I need to adjust the mixture too? Is this an easy adjustment or am I liable to "cock" things up?? ....got a two week holiday starting next weekend, so don't want to upset a van that seems to be running well.....

Thanks

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Carb issue??

Post by DoubleOSeven »

It’s burning off excess fuel. Could be slightly rich or a timing issue. I’d leave it until you get back. Sounds kinda cool.

Clockwise on the idle for more air, less fuel. I turn my idle all the way in, clockwise, then out 3 turns. Without a gas analyser this is the best you can do. MOT centres can set your idle as they have to use a gas analysers to check your emissions.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: Carb issue??

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Bit of a 'cropple popple' down hill on over run.... :wink:

OK, so it can be your mixture, but as you have passed the emissions test recently, there will not be much of a problem...

Other sources:  an air leak or hole in the exhaust, or maybe an exhaust valve seating worn....

Air-Cooled Bliss... 8)

Cordialement,
:ok

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Carb issue??

Post by mike9009 »

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies.

A quick look underneath at the exhaust has revealed a small hole (3mm round). So, this will be my first point of attention. Ordered a couple of different exhaust repair things (Gungum) to provide a temporary repair. Fingers crossed, this will solve the issue - although now I have found one obvious hole I will do a more thorough search for more and repair as necessary...for the short term. Will take the repair stuff with me into France on the weekend......

Then, when funds and time allow, I will get a new exhaust and heat exchangers.....

Been an expensive year, what with the gearbox and starter motor failing.

Thanks

Mike