Reconnecting leisure - terrified

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

darrenstrachan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Reconnecting leisure - terrified

Post by darrenstrachan »

Hi All,

I took my leisure battery out to check its charge level, and now I’m too terrified to fit it back fully. If I connect the positive side up first, is there any way I can hurt myself when joining up the earthed/negative side? Like, can I safely put my hands on those negative terminals in order to connect on all the various wires? When I get the first wire on the VSR starts flipping in and out, which I guess is correct but it freaks me out a bit and I’m too scared to continue when I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Sorry if this is the dumbest question ever! The leisure battery is in quite a small space and really awkward to get at. I kind of need to be able to get my hands right in there and my face fairly close to it.

Alternatively, if anyone knows an auto-electrician in London, ideally mobile, who will deal with this kind of thing I’d love their contact details.

Cheers!
Darren

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Reconnecting leisure - terrified

Post by maxstu »

It will be fine. Positive side first and then tighten negative terminal is what lve been taught. No issues.
If in doubt wear PPE and consult a qualified auto electrician to check over your wiring for peace of mind.
Whereabouts in London? Im riding to s e London tomorrow. Mottingham area. Around 1230pm
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

darrenstrachan

Post by darrenstrachan »

Ah brilliant, thanks Maxstu. Yeah I guess if I get some safety gloves and goggles, take off wedding ring etc it should be fine. Just got a bit of an irrational fear of this stuff 🤣🤣
I’m in N4 near Finsbury Park.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Sure you will be. N4 is a bit far from my intended destination lm afraid.

BTW where is leisure battery sited? My camper has it behind near side rear light. Absolute pig to withdraw or work on.

Just make sure ignition key is in your pocket. It"ll be fine.

Report back on completion

:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Yes to take any rings off. Nearly blew my finger off earlier this year by working in cramped space with metal nearby. Otherwise, yes you're fine
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

darrenstrachan

Post by darrenstrachan »

Ok brilliant, thanks for reassurance guys. Stu no worries, yeah it would be massively out of your way and no chance of me being able to get to SE at mo unfortunately. Sorry to hear about the finger slowcoach!!!! Hope you are alright.

The leisure on this one is in front of the rear right wheel well, but the kitchen cabinetry is on top of it and the angles are quite bad to be free to work in. But I can do it I think, with the goggles and gloves. Will report back!! Thank you so much.

All the best,
Darren