Tickover adjustment?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Tickover adjustment?

Post by SteveW »

How do I adjust the tickover on my 2.1 Fuel injected T3 I have no idea what engine code it is but the van was registered on the 31st december 1991 if that helps?

I have tried screwing in the big screw on the throttle body which has helped a bit, but is now all the way in!! and still too higher tickover :?

Apart from the tickover all seems fine, starting very good with a good pick up and top end.
Never enough time

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

The big screw is the idle adjust screw, only other checks/control are timing which you can check as per the manual and CO which is the hidden screw in the afm. What's it idling at ? Wants to be about 900 rpm for an older engine imho.

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

Thanks for the reply. I do not know what the engine is idling at (no rev counter) but before I adjusted the big screw I could easily pull away with out using any throttle :?
The engine is a Gold recon and only done about 5000 miles.
Sorry to be a bit vague I have only had the van for a week and only put about 60 miles on the clock. I am more used to Beetles. Perhaps I should invest in a Bently manual.
Never enough time

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

The engine is a Gold recon and only done about 5000 miles.

So as it ran in, it's idle speed probably picked up a bit (1000rpm +). If it idles really regularly and is all in good nick, then you could come down a bit on what Aidan suggested, 750-800 should be fine then. If it seems to have little power at low engine speed a tune up might be in order now its run in, but I doubt it, you could get the CO and H checked at idle. A whiff of throttle to pull away is not a problem?
Only other thought is the vac advance isn't working, which gives stable idle and then retards for strong pulling when engine takes up the load.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1