Advice wanted

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ducksdeluxe
80-90 Mem No: 2319

Advice wanted

Post by ducksdeluxe »

Recently bought a 2.1 watercooled T3 and although Im pleased with the performance I would like to improve it
I want to keep the 2.1 but seriously increase the power then possibly LPG it
What is the best way of achieving what Im after
All advice gratefully accepted
Keith

Ye Olde Syncrospares
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1315

Post by Ye Olde Syncrospares »

gas flow the head,ratio rockers,fast road cam,performance air filter,larger capacity ie 2.334cc,performance exhaust systym, next unit from me can chip it,complete turbo kit,its endless really,cj.
bought some real off roaders!!!!!!!

ducksdeluxe

Post by ducksdeluxe »

Sorry what I forgot to say, was that it must still be completely drivable in all situations
Keith

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Probably the first thing you could do is to chip the ECU, fit an tuned length exhaust, fit ratio rockers and a K&N air filter or cone.

If you find it difficult to find an exhaust system for it, you will find that Beetle exhaust systems (Merged SS 1 3/4" header etc) almost fit but you would need to cut 2 of the cyl head flanges off and weld them back on at 90o rotated.

Laurie Petit is a good guy to talk to about Wasser Boxer engines but he's winding things down slowly.

MG

ducksdeluxe

Post by ducksdeluxe »

Sorry for all the questions but who do people recommend for chipping what kind of power output would I be looking at and most important of all, how much ?
Keith

matt
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by matt »

surely the dj is fast enough ????

not saying its poorly, but have you driven another to compare?

i was out and about last nite, and was golf and nova beating
mind you, it has got a westy interior, so is obviously better than yours
:)

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

Want power from a WBX? www.GoWesty.com.

Wallet frightening, but bulletproof.

The WBX engine isn't known for its robustness, or tuneableness. If you're after serious extra grunt then you would be well advised looking elsewhere engine-wise. Like Matt says - try driving another DJ. They ain't slow, for a van.
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Blingpanzer
80-90 Mem No: 2035

Post by Blingpanzer »

As the man says, if you want to go there, you don't want to be starting from here... the DJ (in good fettle) is more than quick enough; in fact my 78bhp DG is good clean chuckable fun, and I throw fast cars about for a living. Much more power from the DJ and you're going to be needing substantially uprated brakes (see Oettinger's WBX4 and WBX6 specifications for examples), and also going very carefully indeed in the wet. Get it serviced by someone who knows what they're doing, then make a judgement as to whether you need more power.

By the time you've extracted the power you're lusting after from a DJ, it will have been much quicker, cheaper and easier to have done a Subaru WRX transplant. The Scoob will produce reliable power for a much longer life too.

Also, it's not the power, it's the gearing... which is difficult to sort out. No matter how much power you have, it'll never be fast away from the lights when first gear runs out at 20mph.
Blingpanzer
Membership Number 2035
1983 Caravelle DG 5-speed driveway ornament