Gearbox Oil Change

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

L.Wade83
80-90 Mem No: 15209

Gearbox Oil Change

Post by L.Wade83 »

I am attempting to change the gearbox oil in my 1.9 watercooled 83. I got the oil and 17mm hex socket which is fine for the drain but the fill plug is different. It looks like a anti tamper torx is needed, can anyone advice what bit I need. Cheers

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Gearbox Oil Change

Post by itchyfeet »

as standard is the same as drain
get a photo up because it must be non standard
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Synkraut
80-90 Mem No: 9894

Post by Synkraut »

IIRC you should not fill up the transmission oil to the overflow (filler) opening. The correct filling level is a little below that. From what I learnt VW found out that filling the gearbox up till overflow level was too much so they recommended little less but didn't want to remanufacture the gearboxes. The pro's on here will be able to give you advice on this
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV
'91 T3 doka syncro, 2.2 Subaru
http://www.feine-tapeten.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

windy
80-90 Mem No: 14574

Post by windy »

Just changed my oil this evening. The drain & fill plug should be female hex. I used a cut down piece of a 17mm allen key inserted into a 17mm socket.
Used 4L of QX fully synthetic 75w90 GL4 compatible oil & a tube of Molyslip for good luck :)
Going for a spin now to see if the shift from 1st to 2nd is improved, after previously using Comma mineral oil.
Mark.
2wd Syncro. JX powered. White with black ragtop sunroof

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

windy wrote: Going for a spin now to see if the shift from 1st to 2nd is improved, after previously using Comma mineral oil.

In my very recent experience it certainly should be.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

windy
80-90 Mem No: 14574

Post by windy »

I've not tried it from totally cold yet, but driving it last night after changing the oil I noticed a big improvement in the quality of the gear change. Felt like there was much less "drag" than before.
Mark.
2wd Syncro. JX powered. White with black ragtop sunroof

Ramsden15
80-90 Mem No: 15485

Post by Ramsden15 »

Hi, I'm the OP, I used my girlfriends login to originally post.

The fill plug is a later Audi/VW plug so I have sourced the specific tool for that.

Synkraut wrote:IIRC you should not fill up the transmission oil to the overflow (filler) opening. The correct filling level is a little below that. From what I learnt VW found out that filling the gearbox up till overflow level was too much so they recommended little less but didn't want to remanufacture the gearboxes. The pro's on here will be able to give you advice on this

How do you fill to just below the fill hole? I've not heard this before, any tips?

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Not critical mate....just below the hole is correct but just dribbling out is fine...only way to ensure the level was filled slightly below would be to have the N/S of the van slightly raised when filling but like I say the difference is minimal and there is no detriment either way..

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV