lowering while keeping the vw ride...

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

smithie
80-90 Mem No: 0

lowering while keeping the vw ride...

Post by smithie »

hi
was quite intrested in lowering my van,but having driven afew modded cars in the past with lowered springs ive always found the ride really harsh/choppy and totally off putting.
is there anyway to lower while keeping the lovely ride of the standard van? if so how low is that,where can i get the kits from,whats involved?
read somewhere that the Caravelle is 30mm lower so im assuming the ride will be just like anyother vw,if so is it just a case of getting the Caravelle springs and shocks and bobs your uncle!
any help/insight i would be grateful.
all the best
smithie

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

Only drop it -45mm not -60mm and cut down the bump stops... plenty of advice re doing this on here and Brickyard.. 8)
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

smithie

Post by smithie »

hi
thanks for that,i shall have a moouch over the various threads and brickyard and hopefully get a idea regarding this....they look good lowered just dont want that boy racer,rattle your teeth,shake the van to bits ride :roll:
all the best
smithie

kyleewyleecoyote
80-90 Mem No: 3157

Post by kyleewyleecoyote »

Hi Smithie

Lowered my panel -60 with JK kit. TBH it doesn't feel as if its going to shake your teeth out and you dont feel every bump in the road, you just loose some of that floating feeling (read, wondering all over the carrigeway!) that you get with the standard height... Oh and it corners so much better now!

You may need the wheel geometry adjusted after lowering, a good time to replace any suspect gaiters/bushes.

Good luck
Kyle
It's unlucky to be superstitious....

smithie

Post by smithie »

hi
thanks for your views on your mod,sounds like a good one as the old bus can get abit vague :shock:
how much did your jk kit cost all in?
all the best
smithie

kyleewyleecoyote
80-90 Mem No: 3157

Post by kyleewyleecoyote »

Check out their site. They do -45 or -60mm kit with 4 x springs & 4 x H/Duty shocks (saving over buying seperately).

www.justkampers.co.uk
It's unlucky to be superstitious....

smithie

Post by smithie »

hi
thanks for that,thats a good price,is the quality good? was it a nightmare to fit?
sorry for all the questions but its good to find out from someone whoes been there and done it!
all the best
smithie :D

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

Depends how your bolts undo but easy(ish) fit and not too bad a ride quality, can take as little as 2 hours but if those front bolts are seized...
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

smithie

Post by smithie »

hi
thanks for that,realised after i posted it was abit of a silly question because no two vechicles are the same,and when i look at mine i can almost see it smiling,saying...come on,try your luck...if you dare :D .
still i might be pleasently surprised...or is that wishful thinking!
thanks again
smithie

g60steve
Trader

Post by g60steve »

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... wering.htm

-40mm and -60mm kits available from £210 delivered: www.brickwerks.co.uk

smithie

Post by smithie »

:D :D :D
great help,lots of useful info and tips
many thanks
smithie

crampervan

Post by crampervan »

hi all
i lowered my van about 3 years ago with a JK 60mm kit and i was wondering if anyone knows how long the bump stops should be? as it feels like im hitting them even on small bumps on the road :( .
all the best carl :roll:

g60steve
Trader

Post by g60steve »

crampervan wrote:hi all
i lowered my van about 3 years ago with a JK 60mm kit and i was wondering if anyone knows how long the bump stops should be? as it feels like im hitting them even on small bumps on the road :( .
all the best carl :roll:

I think you better read this link and especially the part about -60mm springs!

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... wering.htm

3 years! :shock:

crampervan

Post by crampervan »

thanks boss!
im running empi 5 spoke rims with 195,s fitted so im hoping that the arches are not a prob.
i did ask this question 3 to 4 years back and got a very mixed responce some saying dont cut the bump stops and some saying take a rib or 2 off.
how much for a set of shox? as i bought some HD ones from JK but they didnt look any shorter?
thanks for yer help carl :roll:

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

Cut 2 ribs off, and get a set of Jamex shorter shox. Mine rides great with -45mm Jamex kit (which is more like -60mm)
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}