Heater Control Cables

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

michmash
80-90 Mem No: 10972

Heater Control Cables

Post by michmash »

Hello, need some help please, have just had to replace the heater fan in the dash, but have also seen that two of the three cables for the heater control are either not installed correctly or the wrong way round, as they do not sit properly in any of the holes on the levers so they get caught in the levers or bend the cable.
Sorry if the description not very clear, is there any photos out there I can compare it against?

Many thanks

What my one looks like
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

eddbmxdude
80-90 Mem No: 4428

Re: Heater Control Cables

Post by eddbmxdude »

Hi,

I've taken my dash off to sort my heater cables this weekend as my blowers have been stuck on hot ever since I bought the van. None of the levers seemed to do anything and it felt like I was forcing them, so I decided to strip it all down to have a look.

Turns out I had exactly the same problem as you. Rather than pushing the cable inner through the outer, the inners were just bending at the lever ends. Yours might not be installed incorrectly.
The root of my problem was the swivel on the heater valve. It had seized up and the cable couldn't push it. I lubricated the swivel and dribbled some 3 in 1 oil down the outers and worked it all free with my hands. Then I straightened out the bent cable ends in the cab with a pair of pliers and it all seems good now.

I was also missing a clip on the heater box, the ones that hold the rod for the flaps (https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t ... -left.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The rod had dropped on the end with the missing clip, meaning the flaps inside were fouling and causing that cable to bend at the lever too.

I can get some photos of mine if you like?
1989 1.9 DG

el_presidente
80-90 Mem No: 10395

Re: Heater Control Cables

Post by el_presidente »

Hi, I think I have a similar issue. Did you have to remove the entire dash, or is there a way to just remove the lower console & access through there?

thanks