Sergy's Electrics!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ruralman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Sergy's Electrics!

Post by Ruralman »

Hi all,
Well I started off today with the intention of spending quality time trying to sort out Sergy's Electrics :smile:
First job before tackling Sergy was my R1200gsa Spotlight bulb replacement, that done, next was the outside Christmas lights, that done.... Coffee break :grin:
Then Tilly needed a walk (our dog) then it's lunch time :wink: , then after a rest out I go to sort Sergy out:-

Starter battery is looking good, green ok light is on :grin:
Battery is measuring 12.7 volts, when engine is on it measures 13.93 volts
Checked the fuses and their all ok !
Found a wire loose next to the starter battery, found an unused terminal on the charger switch unit ( I think that's what it is?) replaced loose wire and hey presto the Radio now works!
Tested the so called leisure battery and it showed 0.21 volts, so it's now removed and on charge :wink:
The leisure battery looks like a cheap car battery :sad: (Goliath 063)

So here are some conclusions, the leisure battery is not fit for purpose :wink:
Too many circuits are running off the starter battery :wink: , the central heating, the radio, and all the usual vehicle devices such as lights, heater blower, dash board lights, cigarette lighter and socket and probably more to find.... :wink:
This will be a work in progress :smile:
Regards
Keith
Last edited by Ruralman on 14 Dec 2015, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
1982 2.0 Petrol T25 Hightop "Sergy"

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Sergy's Electrics!

Post by CovKid »

Don't bother charging that discharged battery though - its had it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Ruralman

Post by Ruralman »

Yes I agree, I'm searching as we speak for a replacement :smile:
Regards
Keith

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

My first "leisure" batteries were standard starter batteries bought for a tenner a go from the local scrap-yard. At that price it was cheaper to kill one every year and get another, than to fit a proper leisure battery. When I'm camping I don't use any high demand electrical items, and the solar panels I have can keep up with phone charging, a small 12v TV & LED lights. If all else failed I've always got hook-up to fall back on.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Ruralman

Post by Ruralman »

Thanks Boxy for your input giving me options.
Regards
Keith

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

There is a post in the wiki that Covkid put up about upgrading the main wiring for the starter battery - I suggest having a read. I have done the first half of it, I am amazed how bad my wires were. My next task is to run additional power cable to behind the headlights. This will power the blower and headlights light, leaving little for the original to do.

I have put my stereo on the leisure circuit and have two 12v sockets up front - one of the leisure and one off the starter.
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

Ruralman

Post by Ruralman »

Thanks Smosh, I'll check it out.
Regards
Keith