Django the 1.6td JX wont go above 50!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GTIAlex
80-90 Mem No: 0

Django the 1.6td JX wont go above 50!

Post by GTIAlex »

Busfest today and Django wasn't himself, he wouldn't go above 50!

Hes just spent two faultless weeks in cornwall and yesterday arrived back from another perfect week in wales with no problems, but on the way to Busfest he didn't want to play.
He didn't seem too bad, I put it down to a headwind! but on the way back he cut out while double de clutching into third(worn selectors). Popped him back into fourth an jumped him and away we went.
After that he would not accelerate at all in fourth gear above 45mph and above, when in the last few weeks he'd sit at 60mph all day long.

Up through the gears from standstill he seems fine, accelerating as quickly (slowly) as normal but once you apply any load in 4th gear, say above a hill or slight incline...or even on a flat, he wont go above 45/50mph.

Feel like a fuel starvation type deal to me but i'm no expert.

Only difference is, is that this morning I put £15 diesel in at tesco, he usually gets morrisons!

Im going to fill him up tomorrow at BP and chuck some diesel treatment in the tank....
Any other bright ideas?

He idles fine, no smoke no other signs of problems.

windy
80-90 Mem No: 14574

Re: Django the 1.6td JX wont go above 50!

Post by windy »

Try pulling the pipe off that goes to the boost valve thingy (LDV) that sits on the top of the injector pump & see if the there is resistance when you suck through it. When it gets an air leak you don't get extra fuel on boost & no power
Mark.
2wd Syncro. JX powered. White with black ragtop sunroof

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

Okay il try that, I presume i'm looking for resistance when I suck? As in resistance good, no resistance = bad?

windy
80-90 Mem No: 14574

Post by windy »

Resistance = good, as no air leak in the diaphragm :)
Mark.
2wd Syncro. JX powered. White with black ragtop sunroof

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

Sounds similar to when air is being sucked in through the fuel filter plastic valve.

Have you got bubbles showing in the fuel lines.

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Sounds like a boost problem to me...usually manifest themselves at high load ie top gear.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

Just ran the van and watched the fuel line from the filter to engine and after a while could see a fair few air bubbles making their way quickly across from the fuel filter.

Can't seem to get that pipe off to suck through it, don't want to pull too hard until i've got a replacement to hand.

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

The pipe is probably ok, it's usually the white nylon/plastic valve in the fuel filter top that leaks air into the fuel lines, especially under load. Try refitting it or wiggling it and pushing firmly down. May help short term, but if it is that, a replacement is best as they are only cheap.

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

Okay cheers il go give that a go

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

OKay so while I was out I filled him up with some fresh fuel and chucked a bottle of Redex I had lying around in, and all seems well.

Can't get it to repeat the symptoms of before, although I'm convinced the top end isnt quite the same although the blowing exhaust won't be helping matters.

Il still investigate into the air bubbles though and check the valve in the fuel filter top.

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

Update on this; the vans still doing it.

Just had a new head and all other service items replaced due to another problem. Boost is good, had a recon turbo fitted and all the pump timing etc etc done.
Van is 100% mechanically apart from this issue, been told its probably due a new tank.

any ideas?

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

GTIAlex wrote:Update on this; the vans still doing it.

Just had a new head and all other service items replaced due to another problem. Boost is good, had a recon turbo fitted and all the pump timing etc etc done.
Van is 100% mechanically apart from this issue, been told its probably due a new tank.

any ideas?

Update: Issue was fixed with a new fuel tank, the pick up pipe was rotten.