Coolant leak

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jack-d
80-90 Mem No: 12231

Coolant leak

Post by jack-d »

Just wondering if anyone has any idea where my coolant leak is coming from, I can't see anything from above, just the 3 drips in the top of the photo dripping down on to the floor.

The coolant housing has been replaced recently and the garage check the hoses and clips.

It only seems to leak after the van has been driven, once its cold there doesn't seem to be an increase of coolant on the floor.

Any help appreciated Cheers Jack

Image T25 1990 2.1DJ Viper Green Caravelle, converted to Camper

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Re: Coolant leak

Post by Bubble Meister »

Have a look where the cylinder head meets the block. It may be the water jacket seal.

Ps what's that bar going across under the gearbox?
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Also check the drain plug, if the van has been in for some coolant work may have not been tightened up, you will find it between the four pushrod tubes.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

jack-d

Post by jack-d »

Thanks but we had the leak before they did work on it. It only seems to leak after driven and not when cold. If it was the drain plug do you think it would leak all the time?

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I'm afraid that looks like a typical water jacket seal leak. Probably can't see it as it's behind the pushrod tube guard. Look for pink crystals and staining.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

jack-d

Post by jack-d »

Thanks will get it check out

NicBeeee

Post by NicBeeee »

jack-d wrote:Thanks but we had the leak before they did work on it. It only seems to leak after driven and not when cold. If it was the drain plug do you think it would leak all the time?

Probably would, misunderstood you I thought the garage work and the leek were linked, didnt the mechanics have a look at it for you whilst working on the thermostat housing :?

1988 1.9 DG

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Image[/quote]

Ahh the twin spot wasserboxer water feature! I have it too, and have done for 2 years. Its on the list, somewhere near the bottom ;-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

jack-d

Post by jack-d »

slowcoach wrote:Image

Ahh the twin spot wasserboxer water feature! I have it too, and have done for 2 years. Its on the list, somewhere near the bottom ;-)[/quote]

Hope you find it more successfully than I have.

NicBeeee- They changed the Thermostat housing as they thought the leak may be coming from there. Sorry I should have explained that in the place.

I have been told by the mechanic today that he started his search the Water Jacket, and could not see any leaks, and also pressure tested it.

Its going back in next Tuesday for him to have another look. I am beginning to think I may have to just put up with it, and keep topping up the coolant, if its not fixed this time.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Putting off a water jacket leak just results in corroded/steam-eroded head studs. The top ones usually go first, on a carb engine it will be the shortest ones under the inlet manifold. Get it sorted asap or you will regret it and it will just be more expense later on...

jack-d

Post by jack-d »

Mechanic is going to check it again on Tuesday, but he did check it first time around and couldnt see any leak from there. I definitely don't want to give up if its something that will have lasting damage. Would the water jacket only leak when hot, as its not leaking coolant after its cooled down?

Thanks for your help
Cheers jack

NicBeeee

Post by NicBeeee »

jack-d wrote:Would the water jacket only leak when hot, as its not leaking coolant after its cooled down?

Thanks for your help
Cheers jack

Either or iether, I had a leaky jacket that would only drip when cold, once the engine warmed up thermal expansion seemed to help seal it, however the extra water pressure when hot could also show up any leak. Perhaps it depends on the way it is leaking ? Still dont give up hope yet the way the water moves around on a running engine never suprises me, I recently noticed some drips under the engine, drivers side, and it turned out to be a split in the coolant distributor, the leak trickled down the hose to the water jacket and onto the crankcase.

1988 1.9 DG

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The water jacket seals eventually split with old age (they are a U section) Then factor in corrosion of both the head sealing face and the top of the jacket wall; depending on which brand of innapropriate bathroom sealant used when it was assembled...

jack-d

Post by jack-d »

Cheers Guys thanks for your help, I will get ity investigated. And report back when the leak is found.

Jack

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

jack-d wrote:Cheers Guys thanks for your help, I will get ity investigated. And report back when the leak is found.

Jack

Hi Jack,

did you get this sorted??
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz