Respray on my Atlantic

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Miss Syd
80-90 Mem No: 10257

Respray on my Atlantic

Post by Miss Syd »

Hopefully I will be getting this work done later on in the year, but I have a dilemma. The obvious (and probably most sensible) thing to do would be to stick to the same colour and keep the van as close to the original as possible. When I bought the van I had no idea what an "Atlantic" is and how it fits into the great scheme of T25s! I feel the need for a little colour in my life however, and realise that this will take it away from the original and could affect resale value. But shes going nowhere anytime soon (if ever). Opinions please....
Home is where you park it!

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Re: Respray on my Atlantic

Post by pionte »

You are lucky to have such a great van, and it is YOUR van so you should do with it what ever you want, and if changing the colour makes you love it just a little bit more... then thats what you should do, However ... it will effect the resale, and I know that you arent planning to sell ( no one ever does ! ) but , Atlantics ( to many people) are the top of the tree when it comes to campervan conversions, and someone looking for one will probably want it original as possible.

I have a California ( with lots of extra's to almost Atlantic spec) I am currently fitting a Subaru engine , the original was toast and it fits better what I want from the van, this would be sacrilege to many purists and will effect the value no doubt, but when I come to do the full respray it will be exactly as it came out of the factory ...i like the look, to me the factory paint and graphics sum up that era perfectly .
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Respray on my Atlantic

Post by clift_d »

The least worst would be to pick one of the other colours that the Atlantics were finished in. But, unless you get it stripped back to the shell, there will always be traces of the old colour to show its been resprayed, and so that will effect the resale value.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Ning
80-90 Mem No: 12066

Post by Ning »

Indeed a dilemma. There are only three Atlantic colours. Your White, Kirschrot( cherry red), and Calypso (pale metallic green ). Maybe 2 tone - White over.......? ...It maybe wouldn't detract the value as much as an unrelated colour. Wacky wheel colours can be changed easily. Keep original curtains if you change them.
Ok, I'll struggle on 'til lunge time!

1990 Atlantic Pop Top 1.6 TD

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

pay more attention to the repairs etc with photo log, then paint as you wish , if you change colour maybe just do into the shuts then if say sometime in the future you sell , then the new owner can very easy put back to white
mm

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Vinyl wrap?
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908