Oil Light Issues? check This Out!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Chunksta
80-90 Mem No: 12514

Oil Light Issues? check This Out!

Post by Chunksta »

Having had a worrying few days over why my oil light has decided to come on, despite knowing my engine sounds in good shape, I spent a long time trying to figure out what it could be.

Normally if that light comes on, it's an indication that your bearings or pump are done for.

However, what I was being presented was more like an electrical fault at either end, so I set about finding out what was happening.

Having taken out the dash pod, cleaning up the connections and making sure everything else worked OK, I then checked to see if the light would go out if I disconnected the pressure sensor.

All good when I checked that.

After putting the dash back for the third time, and all was looking good, one thing I noticed was that the light was dimmer than when you first turn on the ignition.

In the correct conditions, the oil light should be on as you turn the key, then as the engine runs and builds up pressure, it opens the switch on the sensor and thus the light goes out.

What I was then seeing was a dim light, indicating either an earthing fault or a sticky switch.

I took the sensor out, and cleaned it in kerosine. Paraffin or petrol is preferable, but kerosine was all I had to hand.
Once rinsed and dried, I checked the integrity of the sensor, and refitted it.

Hey presto! All is good again.

So guys, before running off down to the dealers for a switch, save a bit of time and worry, and do check for a dirty sensor.

Well worth trying.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Oil Light Issues? check This Out!

Post by kevtherev »

Aye, and you can save yourself £4.50

Thanks for the heads up :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Chunksta
80-90 Mem No: 12514

Post by Chunksta »

You're welcome!

It's nice to save the money, as someone once said "Every Little Helps", but it's the convenience of knowing you can prove a fault and not worry about having to drive down the road to get a part, or worse, on a Sunday, not be able to ge a spare part. :ok

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Chunksta wrote:You're welcome!

It's nice to save the money, as someone once said "Every Little Helps", but it's the convenience of knowing you can prove a fault and not worry about having to drive down the road to get a part, or worse, on a Sunday, not be able to ge a spare part. :ok
I fitted a gauge to disregard buzzers and lights.

Now I look at the gauge and worry about what it's telling me
:roll:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)